My pekin died in the most brutal way and I am so guilt stricken

Chocorobo12

Chirping
Dec 8, 2021
I wasn't home this past weekend so I had my mom feed my 4 pekins and lock them in their little coop at night. I got home yesterday at around noon only to behold the ghastliest sight.. I found one of my pekins with a SEVERE prolapsed vent... with her instenstine dragging on the ground.... there was blood everywhere on the bottom half of her body and all over their pen... I saw another pekin's face and chest covered in blood... It is quite obvious to me what happened.. I think my pekin got a prolapsed vent as a result of trying to lay an egg... and seeing as she had a pink protrusion coming out if her behind, the other one got curious and started pecking and pulling at it.
I rushed her to the vet crying hysterically the whole time.... but she died on the way there due to severe blood loss.... I'm so heartbroken and I feel responsible for her death ... If I had just been home earlier to let them out in the morning... if I had never been selfish and got them for my own selfish desire to have eggs... You know ducks were selectively bred to produce the insane amount of eggs they do? Thats why their bodies can't keep up and prolapses happen so frequently with egg laying poultry (yes even chickens)... the sight of her going limp in my arms haunts me.... it is all my fault..... I want to surrender my 3 other pekins to a santuary because I'm so scared of the same instance happening... I miss my dead pekin so much and I feel so guilty... I keep replaying the scene of her with her instenstine dragging on the floor and her going limp in my head and it destroys me...

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I've nothing to say that will help, but I assure you that I will be thinking about you and 🙏🏻. One thing to think about, if you didn't get the ducks, someone else, much less caring might would have. Try to think about that and how she was lucky enough to be loved. It's obvious you love them, so I think you'd regret giving them up. Who knows what their lives would be. That's one thing that you can be sure of if you keep them, they will be loved and cared for. I know it's easy to beat yourself up, because I sure have before. The joy they share with us during their lives is worth the pain we feel in losing them, at least for me 💜 I'm so sorry for your loss

Last edited:
I’m so sorry about your pekin. It was not your fault these things happen and I’m sure you did everything you could and looked after them well. They sound very loved and that matters the most. I wish there was something more I could say to help. I agree with the post above you might regret giving them up and I’m sure they are most loved my you. :hugs:hugs🫂🫂

I am so sorry... Though I have never owned ducks, I know how you feel. I recently lost 3 chicks (all in the same day too!) And for one, I can't help but feel I was the one that caused it to asphyxiate due to me having to syringe feed him (he was very weak.) I've also lost countless other babies, fur and feather alike... it hurts, a lot. I form deep bonds with all my animals very quickly, so losing those 3 chicks made me cry for a couple days. But just because they're gone doesn't mean I'm giving up my surviving 2. I'm so sorry for the loss of your babies, but don't give them up! As others have said, if not you, someone else less caring would have taken them and quite possibly eaten them too! Sanctuaries aren't always a good option either. We had rescued a few hens a few years back, but as we couldn't care for them, we gave them to a farm sanctuary.... less than a year later we found out the hens died because they had been placed/allowed to brood a batch of chicks that were apparently sick... I may not have ducks, but I would suggest examining your flock daily if you can. If you notice any peckers, try separating them for a time; also try to include more calcium in their diet, it can help prevent prolapse. Finally, to be safe, learn EVERYTHING you can on how to prevent & treat a prolapse and ways to stop bleeding. (Stiptic powder works wonders for me!) It's ways better safe than sorry and sometimes you need to stabilize the animal before rushing to the vet. Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby... keep us updated on the rest of your flock though!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Try not to beat yourself up. This was definitely not your fault and those ducks have been loved and cared for by you more than they would have been by anyone else. Unfortunately, poultry keeping involves death eventually, but the life you give them until that day...that's what matters. :hugs

Unfortunately, poultry keeping involves death eventually, but the life you give them until that day...that's what matters. :hugs

This is so true. Please realize that this was not your fault. As you move forward remember how much you cared for her, and continue to enjoy your other ducks. I've had a few go to ducky heaven, I try to take peace in the fact that I've given them the best life possible.

Back
Top Bottom