1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Penny is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lfoose, Oct 15, 2007.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Saturday I got a white rock that was doing well but today I noticed that her nose is running. One eye is swollen shut and full of goop and the other eye is just full of goop.

I have our Roo on antibiotics becuase of some congestion and sneezing. He seems better. Is it possible it was passed to Penny? SHould I give her the antibiotics from the roo? Is there anything I can do to clean her eyes?

thanks

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

lfoose......does she have the same symptoms as the roo had? As for her eyes, you can get a cotton ball, and gently wipe her eye with contact solution. As for the antibiotics...personally...I would start her on them...I hope you have these 2 seperated from your other birds? I hope she gets better soon!! Keep us updated. And I hope someone with more knowledge will help as well.

3. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    No, my roo was sneezing and congested. My hen is not sneezing but has the running nose and goopy eyes. Against her will, I cleaned her eyes and nose.

She has the antibiotics in the water. So I guess I just have to hope that she'll drink enough of it to make her better.

4. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Well, last night I put my chicken on antibiotics and did the eye drops and cleaned off her nostrils. This morning the other eye is swelling up and I noticed her poop was a creamy color and a bit frothy looking. I know runny poop is bad any idea what the frothy poop means?

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    it might be coryza

6. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I'll have to research that...I dont know what taht is.

7. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Almost a month later, I get a call from my vet. He asked me if Penny was still alive. I said yes, in fact, she's doing great. He couldn't believe it and wondering how the others were doing.

He got the results back from her blood work and according to him, she has been exposed to or has 8 of the 10 things they tested. He said she definately had/has Myoplas---something. Sorry but I can't remember the rest. He wants me to keep her on the antibiotics for another 3 wks.

Thursday I will go to pick up the new meds and a copy of the results. Penny is doing great and aside from the one hen that died, all the others are doing well. I don't know that I'll put her back on the meds but....does anyone have an opinion on the dr's results? Am I correct in that alot of times chickens can carry a disease trait but never 'suffer' from it?

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    mycoplasmosis(CRD) 90% of all hobby chickens have crd.Symptoms go unnoticed untill the bird is stressed, Once a bird is infected, It remains infected, It is passed through the eggs, and the semen of the male
    Antibiotics only supress it when symptoms do appear. One way to tell if a bird has crd before it shows any symptoms is to hold its nostrils closed with the thumb and index finger, and using the middle finger to hold its lower beak, hold i'ts breath for about 5 sec's bubbles will appear in the corner of the eye in a chicken that has crd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by