My Penny is sick

lfoose

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Medina, OH
Saturday I got a white rock that was doing well but today I noticed that her nose is running. One eye is swollen shut and full of goop and the other eye is just full of goop.

I have our Roo on antibiotics becuase of some congestion and sneezing. He seems better. Is it possible it was passed to Penny? SHould I give her the antibiotics from the roo? Is there anything I can do to clean her eyes?

thanks

lfoose......does she have the same symptoms as the roo had? As for her eyes, you can get a cotton ball, and gently wipe her eye with contact solution. As for the antibiotics...personally...I would start her on them...I hope you have these 2 seperated from your other birds? I hope she gets better soon!! Keep us updated. And I hope someone with more knowledge will help as well.

No, my roo was sneezing and congested. My hen is not sneezing but has the running nose and goopy eyes. Against her will, I cleaned her eyes and nose.

She has the antibiotics in the water. So I guess I just have to hope that she'll drink enough of it to make her better.

Well, last night I put my chicken on antibiotics and did the eye drops and cleaned off her nostrils. This morning the other eye is swelling up and I noticed her poop was a creamy color and a bit frothy looking. I know runny poop is bad any idea what the frothy poop means?

e mail dr brown, [email protected]
he may take a day to get back to you , but he has always helped cure all my chickens..you dont have to buy meds from him, so dont let that stop you from giving him a try,
wendy

Almost a month later, I get a call from my vet. He asked me if Penny was still alive. I said yes, in fact, she's doing great. He couldn't believe it and wondering how the others were doing.

He got the results back from her blood work and according to him, she has been exposed to or has 8 of the 10 things they tested. He said she definately had/has Myoplas---something. Sorry but I can't remember the rest. He wants me to keep her on the antibiotics for another 3 wks.

Thursday I will go to pick up the new meds and a copy of the results. Penny is doing great and aside from the one hen that died, all the others are doing well. I don't know that I'll put her back on the meds but....does anyone have an opinion on the dr's results? Am I correct in that alot of times chickens can carry a disease trait but never 'suffer' from it?

mycoplasmosis(CRD) 90% of all hobby chickens have crd.Symptoms go unnoticed untill the bird is stressed, Once a bird is infected, It remains infected, It is passed through the eggs, and the semen of the male
Antibiotics only supress it when symptoms do appear. One way to tell if a bird has crd before it shows any symptoms is to hold its nostrils closed with the thumb and index finger, and using the middle finger to hold its lower beak, hold i'ts breath for about 5 sec's bubbles will appear in the corner of the eye in a chicken that has crd

Back
Top Bottom