My penny's worth

doodle chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Well my 2 day old French Maran chicks seem to be doing OK but what I thought would be a pleasant experience - hatching my own eggs for the first time - was really stressful and I made quite a few mistakes; I would do things a bit differently next time (if there is a next time).

Only 3 of 8 hatched, the other 5 are still in the incubator, I'm going to give them a bit longer, you never know.

I wouldn't use egg boxes again - I had to remove the eggs and put them on a flat surface or they would have surely died. I didn't realise you weren't supposed to open the incubator in the final 3 days - but I opened mine loads of times. I also didn't realise how important the humidity issue was and I didn't monitor it properly. And the daftest thing I did was add 2 feral hen eggs 2 days after the first 6 because I found them lying were they going to be crushed. I doubt they will hatch now because of all the activity over the last few days.

Anyway, if anyone can learn from my experience, that would be great. I really should have read more on this site before attempting to hatch - I am certain the success rate would have been much higher.
thumbsup.gif

Well would you Adam and Eve it!! One of the feral eggs is starting to hatch. Fingers crossed.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom