My plan to improve how I care for my flock

Debs55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
In The Middle Of Nowhere GA
In the past 6 months or so my original flock of hens has become increasingly poor looking. They are missing feathers, look thin compared to my younger birds, and are obviously bored with their barren run. I'm making this post to keep a journal of sorts of how I plan to improve the quality of life my chickens have, hopefully before i start school at the end of next month.

These are some of the things I will change to help them:
1. clean their waterers more often and add ACV
2. Add grass clippings to their run regularly to eliviate boredum
3. Begin feeding fodder
4. Begin feeding fermented feed
5. Find healthier treats

This is just the begining and I am open to suggestions! also, anyone who wants to join me is welcome!

Some pictures of the poorer girls

Truth, they look like they are going into molt, I know its early for that. The steps you are taking looks good. Also check for lice and mites. It might also be a good idea to worm them. Has anything that has stressed them like excessive heat or an over mating rooster?

They've been partially bald for 6 months and just don't look good compared to the younger chickens which is expected but they are only a year younger. I've checked and treated for mites and my rooster is not aggressive and I don't think he over breeds. They've also been like this before it got hot. They haven't been wormed but I see no evidence of worms in their droppings

Last edited:
Chickens don't always replace the feathers they lose before they go through a molt. Besides having less feathers means that they won't hold the heat of summer as well as a fully feathered bird. Glad they don't have external parasites. Being on the thin side got me wondering about worms. So having touched those points I think your plan to up the quality of feed is a good move. Interested to see how it goes.

Their bare skin does tend to turn red when they are active in the burning sun. Another thing about them replacing feathers om a bald spot, is that when the blood feathers come in the others in the flock may pick them prolong the bare spot.

I would put some pallets up on cement blocks, so that the birds can go under for shade or roost up on top. I would also add some tree branches, and some other roosts in the run. A box in the kitty corner to a corner, allows birds to get away from each other. Mine really like the different heights, and hideouts. I would also put out old hay, or a an alfalfa bail and let them scatter it, and peck through it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom