My poor Kitty :( What could have done this? *GRAPHIC PICS*

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
I usually make sure both cats are put in the house at night because of all the predators we have in the area but last night Sam the sneaky lil bugger that he is snuck out, we searched for a few hours with flashlights and treats with no luck. He has done this a few times before but usually with no injuries... Well this morning he wasn't so lucky, he stumbled home beat up and bloody with several puncture wounds and had a little trouble walking. I rushed him to the vet as soon as they opened this morning. His left rear quarters is where the predator struck, it must have dragged him as well because he has grass stains on his face. He has a pretty large hole in the back of his leg, opens and closes as he walks, I can see muscle, tissue and possibly bone there. His leg isn't broken but they also didn't want to stitch it so that the wound can drain. I as well as the vet think it's a miracle he got away from whatever it was that had him. I am no expert on teeth marks but I know alot of you folks know a heck of a lot more then me as far as predators go. ANy ideas what this might have been? WE have coyotes,fox,dogs,possums,coons, weasels,skunks ect and bear have also been sighted here.

His face where the grass stains are and a very minor cut below his eye
10663_img_0154.jpg

Altho the pic doesn't do this gaping wound any justice it's actually the worst one, its about the size of a quarter, when he fought to get away the skin tore
10663_img_0156.jpg

The 2 punture wounds, left hind quarters, one is extremely close to his spine whihc was concerning to the vet
10663_img_0157.jpg

Close up of the 2 puncture wounds, looks like whatever it was was large judging by the distance between the wounds?
10663_img_0165.jpg

1 very uncomfortable boy
sad.png

10663_img_0166.jpg

No idea, but oh my goodness, I hope your kitty recovers quickly. Glad you took him to the vet already, I am sure that is a big help in preventing a nasty infection in those wounds, is he on antibiotics? This is definitely why I've had indoor only kitties, I would be so heartbroken if something like this happened.

So sorry your cat was beat up so bad.

It could have been any of the predators you listed, but most likely a coyote, raccoon or even a large owl (great horned, perhaps).

Hope he heals up quickly and learned his lesson to not disobey mom and stay out after his curfew.
wink.png

Poor baby!
Most cat injuries come from fighting with other cats, but that certainly looks like more damage than another kitty can do.
Do you have fisher cats? They're the next most common culprit, in my area at least. It's also baby-feeding time of year, so foxes and other animals that usually tend towards the timid side become a little more bold as they search for food.
The good news is, Sam will probably want to stick close to home - for a little while, at least.
hmm.png

We certainly have owls here but I really don't think it was an owl, those look like teeth marks to me, once the predator chomped down sam tried to get away ripping the skin by the puncture wounds which makes it look kind of like a burn but if ya look close you can see how big around the actual puncture wound is. He is pretty doped up right now and fighting the giant blue thing around his neck. It is touch and go with his left rear leg tho, Vet said to watch for decreased movement which could indicate swelling of the spine and if infection gets into the gaping wound at the back of his leg he could potentially loose his leg
hit.gif

Quote:
I don't think we do have fisher cats out here, he is a lover not much of a fighter but one heck of a hunter and flock protector believe it or not, I haven't had any losses from hawks this year because of him being out there with the birds, he is gonna mis his buddies. He was already fighting to get out the door (must be the pain meds)

Back
Top Bottom