My poor silkie hen

scorrente

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
I have 2 silkie hens and 1 silkie rooster and 1 frizzle rooster. One of my hens is being picked on. One of her eyes is closed and the other is watery. I separated her from the rest. Is there any thing else I should do? Are there chicken antibiotic drops? Why are they picking on her? I am planning on pairing 1 hen and 1 rooster but think I should wait until she's better. Are they going to start picking on my healthy hen now that that one is gone? It's so sad.

I wish I had an answer for you. Always thought that silkie roos were docile. Seems that something triggers bad behavior without warning. Roosters are BAD BAD BAD, and hard to find a good one among them. Of course there are people that have good roosters that protect the flock, and what ever else they do. But the bad ones seem to make the headlines. Keep injured one away until she heals. Yes keep an eye on the other healthy hen. I just don't know what to do to roo to change his attitude. Trimming his upper beak may lessen injuries inflicted on hens. Make sure it's only the top one . Trimming bottom one would cause roo not to be able to drink water. He cant live without water. HOPE THINGS TURN BETTER FOR YOU. SINCERELY
sad.png

AND
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I could never understand how loving and tame Frizzles, Sizzles, Cochins and Silkies would fight or pick on each other. My Sizzle hen, Muggsy picks on my two roos and my two roos, a Frizzle cochin and a smooth cochin don't like my two silkie hens. I don't know what the answer is. i just keep them seperated.

Thanks for your input. Update: my silkie hen made a 100% recovery. My frizzle roo just got meaner and meaner. He started attacking me when I would feed them, so I gave him away. Everyone seems much happier now! It's too bad because I thought he was so pretty! But all's well that ends well! :)

True. Plus, I gave him to my cousin, so I still get to see him too! It all worked out!

Back
Top Bottom