My "Pullet" crowed ...

PaigeHgibson

Songster
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
VIRGINIA
My favorite chicken Riley a silkie /sebright a mutt who wasnt supposed to be a mutt
roll.png
the guy i get the chicks from ( silkies and cochins said it must have happened by acciedent

was raised from birth and is imprinted to me and my family , she is the lone survivor of a overheated brooder
sad.png

but since she was alone for a while she became the tamest chicken you would ever meet
smile.png

well imagine my amzment when my mom , little brother , boyfriend, and i were watching the "sixth sense " and Riley crowed ! My mom just looked at me and said "she is just clearing her throat " well riley did it like 10 more times !
she has no comb AT ALL , no wattles at all and she is 3 months old and i was told she is a sexlink because its a light skin X dark skin
riley is here to stay and keep my splash flock and mottled cochins taken care off
smile.png

she has no comb AT ALL , no wattles at all and she is 3 months old and i was told she is a sexlink because its a light skin X dark skin

That sex link comment is a new one on me. Skin color has nothing to do with sex linking, so guess you have a male there. Glad you can keep Riley. I have a Riley, but she's a barred EE (Barred Rock x blue Ameraucana).​

No, its not sebrights. When you cross a dark legged (not just silkies) male to a light shanked female (not just sebrights), you sex them by their legs. It doesn't work if dad is light and mom is dark though.

This is what a fellow BYCER sent me , I will post a pic tonight she does look very much like a pullet and she is very mother ing towards the smaller silkie chicks and doesnt act at all rooish so i would never have guuessed roo , but that was deffiantly a crow !!!

Quote:
When you cross a dark legged (not just silkies) male to a light shanked female (not just sebrights), you sex them by their legs

What color are you calling Dark and Light and where did the parent stock come from.

Chris​

The mom was a golden sebright the dad was black silkie ( i copied that comment from a old post i had someone replied on , thats why i thought she was a pullet

Quote:
Neither one of those breeds have "light" colored legs.
Golden Sebright have Slate Blue Legs and Silkies have Black Legs.

Also it works on some breed and not on others but both parents have to be PURE for leg color.
For example if you cross a Blue legged Hatch (American Game Breed) over a Yellow Legged Hatch (American Game Breed) there offspring would be Blue legged pullets and White legged cockerels.
It should also work with crossing other breeds also but like I said they have to be PURE for leg color.

Chris

Neither breed can be sexed as babies. They are bantams, so therefor they are too small to be sexed. Silkies take forever to find out the sex, so I can see the mixup. So sorry about your chick.
sad.png

One of my girls was experimenting with crowing for awhile. It was quite impressive too! And, extremely hilarious. She even did the crowing stance and found a high place to let 'er rip. We were actually hoping she'd keep it up - just for entertainment purposes - but she decided it wasn't for her after a couple of weeks.

I've heard that if there isn't a rooster around that sometimes one of the girls will step up the plate and make some noise! Don't give up on Riley quite yet...you might still get some eggs out of her/him?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom