My pullet wont open her eyes. Has watery eyes and beak. Any ideas?

I would return her, and I also might contact the State veterinarian and let them know a feed store is selling sick birds.
I just got back from that feed store. The owner said he doesnt take sick birds back. what a prick! and couldnt even suggest what treatment would be best.. YES I AM GOING TO CALL CALIFORNIA STATE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH ASSN. AND REPORT THIS! Thank you casportpony for all your kind help lately.

My head says cull her but my heart would be bleeding like yours is! I think @casportpony Is right, the store should be held accountable. For what it’s worth it’s not your fault. You want the best for her and in the interest of other birds pre vented from suffering I hope you consider what she said. :hugsGood luck! I’m so sorry!
Thank you Sequel. Im so glad I have such good caring friends here at BYC

Since you have other chickens, the only choices would be to cull her or return her and have them put her down. Bringing in sick birds that can infect your flock is a nightmare, and it will perpuate a chronic illness on and on until every bird is gone. If she were yours all along and you chose to treat her, that would be your choice which many of us would support. But to bring in an already sick bird is not a good practice. X2 on reporting a store that sells sick birds.

Since you have other chickens, the only choices would be to cull her or return her and have them put her down. Bringing in sick birds that can infect your flock is a nightmare, and it will perpuate a chronic illness on and on until every bird is gone. If she were yours all along and you chose to treat her, that would be your choice which many of us would support. But to bring in an already sick bird is not a good practice. X2 on reporting a store that sells sick birds.
I'm not sure in my heart, what I'm feeling at the moment: Utter sadness, or extreme anger over today's situation.. But thank you Eggcessive for your kind support!

Do you have someone who could help you? I have a neighbor who is a hunter so next time I need to cull I’m going to ask him.
I don't think this little lady is going to live long enough, for me to find someone, who can manage that deed. But I'm calling around now to verify.:hit Worst valentines day of my life!!

I just got back from that feed store. The owner said he doesnt take sick birds back. what a prick! and couldnt even suggest what treatment would be best.. YES I AM GOING TO CALL CALIFORNIA STATE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH ASSN. AND REPORT THIS! Thank you casportpony for all your kind help lately.
You're in California? Take that bird to the CAHFS lab in Tulare, and let the owner of the feed store know you are gonna do this.
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/locations/tulare-labThey will euthanize and necropsy her for $20.

Just be very careful about biosecurity and handling your others. It sounds like coryza, and I cannot blame the store not taking her back. They should however refund your money. Since she has been with you for 4 days, she probably started showing signs when the stress of the move caused symptoms. Any bird that you get from another place can be a silent carrier of who knows what, and stress may bring on symptoms or they may cause your own birds to get sick. I don’t add any new birds to my flock except for baby chicks from a hatchery or hatched by me. So sorry you are dealing with this.

I don't think this little lady is going to live long enough, for me to find someone, who can manage that deed. But I'm calling around now to verify.:hit Worst valentines day of my life!!
:hugs Shame on the store for selling sick birds, especially since California is experiencing an outbreak of Exotic Newcastle Disease.

Back
Top Bottom