My pullets keep pecking me

Frostette

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Wichita, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I've spent a lot of time with my 11 chicks since they were a day or 2 old. They are now 3 months old and peck me when I'm visiting them. And it hurts! I've never had chickens that have done this. They love me to spend time with them and take turns sitting on my lap, shoulders, arms...... But I have to wear shoes and long pants now when I go in cause they begin pecking as soon as I sit down. Why are they doing this?

It could be a curiosity thing or just kind of a habit. I have a hen who does this occasionally and I've chalked it up to her being curious. If you want to stop it then I'd suggest flicking there beaks gently every time one of them pecks you. They'll get the message.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

@aart has it right again!
You were happy to 'spoil' them, and it's time to show them that they are being rude. Other chickens, including a broody hen, would let them know that this is not acceptable, by pecking just as aart recommends.
Some individual birds are just bolder than average, and might take frequent reminders before (almost) giving it up.
And I always were shoes or boots and jeans out there! Dressing appropriately has saved me from actual wounds many times.
Mary

My flock is still young with some birds at 1 month old and some at 2. They are toe peckers for sure! I have had to do the finger peck thing to one or two of mine so far for the very reason you posted and it helps for the duration of my visit, but then the next day they are repeat offenders. Hopefully with time, their curiosity about my flavor will cease.

Back
Top Bottom