My purebred Ameraucana hen laid a tan egg!!! D=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Considering the linage of the Ameraucana it isn't that hard to figure out. There are brown--and probably white--egg laying genes in their makeup way back and, with just the right combination of DNA, it is very possible for the brown gene to come out. Frankly IMHO, (and this will draw the ire of those breeding them) Ameraucanas are nothing more than inbred mutts and, as such, most anything can happen. That being said most of the named breeds floating around are probably not 100% pure either since most breed weren't kept for show but either egg production, meat or both and people keeping them would out-cross them to improve the quality they were looking for.

Ameraucanas are nothing more than inbred mutts and, as such, most anything can happen.

Aren't most breeds of birds the same? All had to be developed from something.............................​

Quote:
Considering the linage of the Ameraucana it isn't that hard to figure out. There are brown--and probably white--egg laying genes in their makeup way back and, with just the right combination of DNA, it is very possible for the brown gene to come out. Frankly IMHO, (and this will draw the ire of those breeding them) Ameraucanas are nothing more than inbred mutts and, as such, most anything can happen.

X2 My point exactly, but we are shooting ourselfs in the foot trying to explain that here LOL.

Quote:
Sumatras are white or lightly tinted egg layers, not brown. If yours lay brown, they have something else in their background, sorry. Research Sumatra egg color on the web and you'll see only white listed, not brown. My brown egg laying Ameraucana with Sumatra blood has a pea comb, too. It was a surprise to see that egg, but no matter. I wasn't planning to breed her anyway.

BBS stands for blue, black or splash.

pips&peeps :

Ameraucanas are nothing more than inbred mutts and, as such, most anything can happen.

Aren't most breeds of birds the same? All had to be developed from something.............................

Exactly. Y'all need to stop verging on snotty, for crying out loud. Why pick on Ameraucanas? All developed breeds have something else in their backgrounds whose genes can pop out at some future point-Wyandottes have Cochin ancestry, which is why you see single combs and feather stubs on the legs on occasion. Good grief, it's pretty much the same with all chickens. Some weird aberration can pop up in most any line at any time.
roll.png
Because you don't have pedigrees and unauthorized matings can occur, sometimes you just dont know why a trait comes out in a bird. As I always say, genes are like leprechauns, playing tricks on you when you least expect it.​

Quote:
Sumatras are white or lightly tinted egg layers, not brown. If yours lay brown, they have something else in their background, sorry. Research Sumatra egg color on the web and you'll see only white listed, not brown. My brown egg laying Ameraucana with Sumatra blood has a pea comb, too. It was a surprise to see that egg, but no matter. I wasn't planning to breed her anyway.

pips&peeps :

Aren't most breeds of birds the same? All had to be developed from something.............................

Exactly. Y'all need to stop verging on snotty, for crying out loud. Why pick on Ameraucanas? All developed breeds have something else in their backgrounds whose genes can pop out at some future point-Wyandottes have Cochin ancestry, which is why you see single combs and feather stubs on the legs on occasion. Good grief, it's pretty much the same with all chickens. Some weird aberration can pop up in most any line at any time.
roll.png
Because you don't have pedigrees and unauthorized matings can occur, sometimes you just dont know why a trait comes out in a bird. As I always say, genes are like leprechauns, playing tricks on you when you least expect it.​

X2​

Quote:
speckledhen I like to pick on Ameraucanas because the owners are always so quick to point out that their birds are not EE's if anyone happens to imply their blue egg layers are Ameracucanas. It's kinda fun to see them
barnie.gif
and
somad.gif
when you poke them a little bit. My bad.
smile.png

Quote:

pips&peeps :

roll.png

Mine don't lay brown eggs, they lay a tan egg.​

Quote:
Considering the linage of the Ameraucana it isn't that hard to figure out. There are brown--and probably white--egg laying genes in their makeup way back and, with just the right combination of DNA, it is very possible for the brown gene to come out. Frankly IMHO, (and this will draw the ire of those breeding them) Ameraucanas are nothing more than inbred mutts and, as such, most anything can happen. That being said most of the named breeds floating around are probably not 100% pure either since most breed weren't kept for show but either egg production, meat or both and people keeping them would out-cross them to improve the quality they were looking for.

AMERAUCANA chickens are not inbred mutts.

AMERICANA or EASTER EGGER chickens are inbred mutts.

( By the way I am not yelling, just clarifying what I am stating )

I'd like to know just which breeds you are referring to. Every breed had to be formed somehow from other chickens, they didn't just appear like they are now.

Quote:

pips&peeps :

roll.png

Oh come on now...it seems to me that on this forum, it's the Ameraucana folks who are the snotty ones (not all, mind you, but a good many) who constantly slap the word "mutt" in the faces of the EE people. Truth is, Ameraucanas are mutts, too...and yes, so are most breeds. Everyone should lose the snottiness, in my opinion. They are chickens, for goodness sakes! Not race horses!! Lighten up everyone!
roll.png

Quote:

AMERAUCANA chickens are not inbred mutts.
AMERICANA or EASTER EGGER chickens are inbred mutts.

( By the way I am not yelling, just clarifying what I am stating )

I'd like to know just which breeds you are referring to. Every breed had to be formed somehow from other chickens, they didn't just appear like they are now.

Yes, they are, and they were developed from EEs, as a matter of fact. Even today, to develop new colors like lavender, other breeds are being bred into the Ameraucana gene pool. That makes them mutts. No judgment from me; ALMOST ALL breeds were developed from intermixing other breeds, but if we're all going to be truthful, then yes, Ameraucanas are technically mutts, too. Maybe the term "mutt" shouldn't be used in such a derogatory fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom