My quail have not been laying why?

Cascade_Quail_Eggs

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
All of My quail have not been laying for a while and they used to lay every day but now they don’t and I am confused, they are all under a year old so they should still be laying. Is this normal for them to not be laying during this time of the year? What could be wrong with them?

Cascade_Quail_Eggs

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
343DDD6B-A412-4093-B3A9-9693BE6C7867.jpeg
What do you feed them and has anything changed recently...have you changed anything in their housing area have you added or taken away any birds?
I have not added/taken away any birds and the only thing I changed was the location of the water which I don’t really think would make them stop laying. Here is an image of what I feed them.

Ebony Rose

Crowing
12 Years
May 26, 2009
David, Chiriquí, Panama
Quail need 14 hours of light daily to lay but 16 hours is considered ideal. My quail have been known to go off-lay simply because I changed their litter, and not resume for a couple weeks... last time, they refused to lay until the day I gave them a peace offering of lettuce... I kid you not... two weeks later and they were still off-lay... and the same day (surely a coincidence, but makes for a good story) that I gave them the lettuce, they all started laying again. Adding a few extra hours of light will help you immensely. I suggest putting it on a timer to save some on the electric bill and avoid forgetfulness.

Vadard

Chirping
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
I'd bet on the days getting shorter. That said, here's a word of warning: My quails' production would always go down when there was a new predator messing with them. A new cat snooping around, a raccoon harassing the coop at night, etc. Whenever production went down, I'd get real militant in my patrols and more than once I found a critter to vanquish. Good luck!

Ebony Rose

Crowing
12 Years
May 26, 2009
David, Chiriquí, Panama
That said, here's a word of warning: My quails' production would always go down when there was a new predator messing with them. A new cat snooping around, a raccoon harassing the coop at night, etc. Whenever production went down, I'd get real militant in my patrols and more than once I found a critter to vanquish. Good luck!
I too had that problem until I finally put them on my back [totally screened & enclosed] porch. Mostly cats, as they seem to have no trouble climbing chain link fence. Absolutely nothing can get to my quail now.

Top Bottom