My quail have not been laying why?

Cascade_Quail_Eggs

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
All of My quail have not been laying for a while and they used to lay every day but now they don’t and I am confused, they are all under a year old so they should still be laying. Is this normal for them to not be laying during this time of the year? What could be wrong with them?

343DDD6B-A412-4093-B3A9-9693BE6C7867.jpeg
What do you feed them and has anything changed recently...have you changed anything in their housing area have you added or taken away any birds?
I have not added/taken away any birds and the only thing I changed was the location of the water which I don’t really think would make them stop laying. Here is an image of what I feed them.

Quail need 14 hours of light daily to lay but 16 hours is considered ideal. My quail have been known to go off-lay simply because I changed their litter, and not resume for a couple weeks... last time, they refused to lay until the day I gave them a peace offering of lettuce... I kid you not... two weeks later and they were still off-lay... and the same day (surely a coincidence, but makes for a good story) that I gave them the lettuce, they all started laying again. Adding a few extra hours of light will help you immensely. I suggest putting it on a timer to save some on the electric bill and avoid forgetfulness.

I'd bet on the days getting shorter. That said, here's a word of warning: My quails' production would always go down when there was a new predator messing with them. A new cat snooping around, a raccoon harassing the coop at night, etc. Whenever production went down, I'd get real militant in my patrols and more than once I found a critter to vanquish. Good luck!

That said, here's a word of warning: My quails' production would always go down when there was a new predator messing with them. A new cat snooping around, a raccoon harassing the coop at night, etc. Whenever production went down, I'd get real militant in my patrols and more than once I found a critter to vanquish. Good luck!
I too had that problem until I finally put them on my back [totally screened & enclosed] porch. Mostly cats, as they seem to have no trouble climbing chain link fence. Absolutely nothing can get to my quail now.

Back
Top Bottom