MY QUAILS ARE HATCHING, MY QUAILS ARE HATCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No you dont want to release them here in Ohio. Bobwhite yes, and you dont need a permit for those in Ohio. Just the bobwhites and ringneck pheasants.

Ok so I will not release the little cuties!
big_smile.png
I would rather not anyways! I think I will really enjoy having them here!!! They are so stinkin cute!

BTW: Thanks for all the info. I am a complete NOOB when it comes to quail.
big_smile.png

It feels like everyone has quail lately but me!
sad.png

They are adorable! I'm dying to add some coturnix to our backyard. Penned and sheltered of course!
cool.png

Last edited:
Being a NOOB is fun! Least it was/still is for me!
smile.png
This forum makes it so! LOL!

ANywhoo button quails are a lil more "Useless" i guess you could say then Coturnix. Because Buttons are way too small to have a meal out of (you'd prob need 10 for one pesron if not more)!! LOL!

Buttons are mostly bred to be aviary cleaner uppers, they eat the seed the the finches and other fancy birds spill at the bottom of the aviaries. Or if you just want to watch cute lil birds run around all day they're great for that too. They also come in a TON of colors, and sing pretty.

I have them because I always watned them as pets I was told they made wonderful pets. But my idea of what makes a wonderful pet must differ highly from what others think lol! They dont want petted, even a imprinted button quail chick mostly doesnt want messed with (i know form personal experience lol). They're pretty much like owning fish, can't relaly touch them....they're best for looking at.
smile.png
They're skiddish, run and fly fast....so I avoid handling mine at all costs to avoid losing them LOL! SO now i have them still because evne though they aren't pettable, they make great facinating color genetics for me to work wtih..a.nd i love hatcing out the TINY (bumblebee sized) pip sqeaks!
smile.png

My coturnix I will use for egg, meat, pets and training some culled ones (i'd never use live) to work on retrieval with my bird dogs (cockers).
smile.png
OH and coturnix as long as handled daily and worked with stay tame for the most part and are very sweet! I LOVE mine!!! I call them my mini chickens.
smile.png

Last edited:
I love how the quail just sit there pipped and then all of a sudden when you aren't looking they all pop out. I wasn't expecting it in the least. I checked the incubator, was disapointed they'd made no progress in 6hrs, sat down at the computer, and suddenly I hear peeping. I get up to find one racing around the incubator.
lol.png

I've known of plenty people with tame button quail. I was actually surprised at how calm my chicks are. I can just reach in and scoop them up and after a minute of going "oh wait something grabbed me" they just chill until I lower my hand and let them go. They are actually taming even better than my bantam chicks. You can use button quail eggs but it takes about 10 eggs to equal a standard chicken egg and while they make cute little hard boiled appetizers they are a pain to peel. I have them because I always wanted to try keeping pet birds but I don't really like the mess, noise, and just logistics of keeping perching, flying birds. Buttons I can keep basically like my small rodents in tanks or small animal cages with normal bedding and various wooden housing structures but they are birds.
big_smile.png

Anyone know the requirements to release bobwhite quail on your own land in Iowa? I live on 80 acres of crp next to probably another 100 acres set aside for wildlife but the quail forum I asked on was rather dead and I haven't gotten a response.

All I know is I am not allowed to release ANY quail in AK. Which is ok by me.
smile.png

I am still getting a good number of eggs every day, so if anyone wants to get one last hatch in there, I have coturnix eggs available for a couple more weeks.
wink.png
Not that I'm enabling or anything.
tongue.png

I just hatched 20 of them, and I have to admit I'm done hatching them for this year. I have over 40 now, and I just love them. If I had to keep one breed, it would be the coturnix.

Congratulations Harleygirl... you are in for some fun!
smile.png

Anyone know if you can release them in PA? Or who I would call. I live on a large farm with lots of wooded area. It would be nice to do that in the spring.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain, what are coturnix? Are they a quail? Do you kave pics of them. What do you charge? Could I keep them in a cage in the house? Sorry so many questions. How do you think they would ship from AK to PA?

Cortunix are a japanese quail. They should not be released and probably will not survive. If you want to release quail you should use the native bobwhites. Some states require a permit and sometimes that permit means inspecting your property and facilities for raising quail so it's not always that simple. It's also very difficult to find out the laws for some states. Iowa laws contradict themselves in several places and I can't find anyone who knows for sure.

Back
Top Bottom