My Qual coop on youtube! ( built it myself! )

DH = Dear Husband

I can't believe they free range either...not get ate AND come back every night...pretty clever quail you have. That is certainly atypical behavior and not the norm.

Okay :) And i lost one a couple weeks ago to my neghbours cat, but other than that they are pretty quick ;) hopefully they will start to raise some chicks, to keep it going!! thanks for the comment.

I'll be the bad judge - lol
wee.gif
- the only flaw I can see is, - if something like a (raccoon, possum, mink..etc.) may get into the cage (if there is no wire on the bottom). There is another problem I can see. If the ceiling is hard, it can be dangerous. The quail (if spooked) will most likely try to fly (up), break their necks... and we know that is the end to that. If possible - try putting some netting under the ceiling, or something like that.

I like flaws, because they can be fixed lol :) I have learned from past experiences.

Last edited:
I'll be the bad judge - lol
wee.gif
- the only flaw I can see is, - if something like a (raccoon, possum, mink..etc.) may get into the cage (if there is no wire on the bottom). There is another problem I can see. If the ceiling is hard, it can be dangerous. The quail (if spooked) will most likely try to fly (up), break their necks... and we know that is the end to that. If possible - try putting some netting under the ceiling, or something like that.

I like flaws, because they can be fixed lol :) I have learned from past experiences.

I acually have 4 x4 for the foundation!! So i think it is ok with just that and thanks for the good tips, ill investigated the local feed store for mesh netting :))

Thank you, and the quail are freaking out because i caught them from my property and at the time they were fairly new, now i moved them into my dads pigion coop and they free range 24/7 :D What type of chickens do you have? take care.

Great looking pen but I don't think it's a good idea to catch wild birds and put them in a cage. I don't know the wildlife laws in Canada but here in the U. S. that would be a very serious violation of the law. Wild birds, valley quail, do not do well in confined spaces. Selling wild game, dead or alive, is also a violation of the law. It would be a good idea to check your local laws before posting this online. I would suggest buying your stock from a licensed game bird breeded. You may also need a game bird breeder license to keep game birds but like I said, you need to check your countries laws regarding game birds kept in captivity. Good luck to you!

Technically i think california quail are introduced to the okanagan valley, but I think they are still considered wild game and although you don't need a permit to keep them domestically (I have kept them myself, but that was in northern bc where theere are no wild quail) I think you would definetly get into trouble if you were caught taking them from the wild. I would pick up a copy of the hunting regulations and find your regiond and management unit to see if there is an open season on california quail. If there is, 9and I think there is) then they are managed under the ministry of land water and air protection. You can phone your CO office and ask them if you need a permit to keep california quail as you are interested in BUYING some from a breeder. If you put it that way you won't incriminate yourself. if you need a permit, I would either look into getting it or releasing the birds because if the COs catch you with them you will be in big doo doo. I wouldn't personally catch them from the wild any more because for that you will definetly get into trouble. I would be surprised if these wild caught birds would breed for you in captivity anyway. I had a really hard time getting my own captive bred birds to breed in captivity just because they are so flighty. Not to be a downer but by taking the birds from the wild you're playing with fire a bit...

Technically i think california quail are introduced to the okanagan valley, but I think they are still considered wild game and although you don't need a permit to keep them domestically (I have kept them myself, but that was in northern bc where theere are no wild quail) I think you would definetly get into trouble if you were caught taking them from the wild. I would pick up a copy of the hunting regulations and find your regiond and management unit to see if there is an open season on california quail. If there is, 9and I think there is) then they are managed under the ministry of land water and air protection. You can phone your CO office and ask them if you need a permit to keep california quail as you are interested in BUYING some from a breeder. If you put it that way you won't incriminate yourself. if you need a permit, I would either look into getting it or releasing the birds because if the COs catch you with them you will be in big doo doo. I wouldn't personally catch them from the wild any more because for that you will definetly get into trouble. I would be surprised if these wild caught birds would breed for you in captivity anyway. I had a really hard time getting my own captive bred birds to breed in captivity just because they are so flighty. Not to be a downer but by taking the birds from the wild you're playing with fire a bit...

Ya from my understanding they are an introduced species, i understand your guys concerns and thank you for the helpfull info. and jbobs do you hunt by any chance? have a good one.

yes i do :) when I get the chance. I've been in university the last couple years and my hunting buddy passed away a couple years ago (my dad) so I don't get out much anymore. Never hunted quail, just grouse and geese and the odd moose if I ever happen to get an LEH

yes i do :) when I get the chance. I've been in university the last couple years and my hunting buddy passed away a couple years ago (my dad) so I don't get out much anymore. Never hunted quail, just grouse and geese and the odd moose if I ever happen to get an LEH
Sorry about your dad :( Thats awesome that you hunt though, are you going for bear this spring? Im heading down to falkland next week to try my luck!! Mind me asking what university you go to? have a good one bro.

Back
Top Bottom