My roo has some blue on his comb

I just wanted to share some info. on Blue Comb. I have been dealing with a situation myself & actually came here to try to make a complete or even close match but after reading I see I seem to know a bit more so just something you can try IF symtomology matches mine at all. I have a Leghorn 5-6yo & I have been going at it for "3" MONTHS! The Main symptoms are as follows:
Won't eat layer pellet but WILL eat it wet mixed with layer crumble,WILL eat seed but NOT whole DRY corn. Will eat soft foods such as corn on the cobb,has BIG problems keeping water down & regurgitates it(WHEN FORCING WATER VIA ENEMA BOTTLE TIPS/Part Of Comb Turns Blue). I have another hen WITHOUT BLUE COMB that bites at the water,has a red spot on her Crop,& won't eat very much. I notice when forcing water on BOTH water some water shoots back at me. I Also noticed that on BOTH Hens the Mouth seems overly wet but NO Smell(tried to force feed grain by hand & this is when I noticed). ALSO Both are Head flicking!!
The Confusing part is Blue Comb CAN represent Heart failure-Circulation issues. HOWEVER, the comb seems to primarily turn blue during drinking. I ORIG. seen discolored poo-greenish & this is when I consulted a Vet who thought it was respiratory & advised LA200 2 weeks (1cc every other day is better to avoid additional pricking,breast damage,& a good constant supply of meds). I also did Baytril liquid in water in conjunction. Seemed to work great at first but the ONLY problem is they regress on eating so I couldn't tell for sure if she was getting better. I DID skip the last injection but did finish the 10days on Baytril.
SHE STARTED TO EAT/Act Normal after 2 days off LA200. HOWEVER,after 7-9 days of completed treatment I seen her regressing. I wish I would have given her a few more shots but I think it killed the secondary infection & NOT the Primary.
The ONLY OTHER MED. that seemed to give me good results was the Sulphadiamethoaxine. Worked great initially but after stopping (after 6 days) She started regressing within 3-4 days.
My ONLY CONCLUSION is that This is a FUNGAL infection. The Vet tried to get me to bring her in but she was wrong on some other hens I had & they CAN'T culture if the Hen has been on Antibiotics(Meds I have tried Sulpha,Baytril,La200,Tetracycline drench& TYLAN at the same time! ).
I DECIDED NO MORE $$ ON MEDS & BEING A MED. ASST. MYSELF I DECIDED 1 LAST ATTEMPT & I FOUND A SITE CALLED "POULTRY PEDIA.COM" I decided to take her off ALL Meds & after reading the fungal section I decided to try this "OREGANO OIL" IN CONJUNCTION WITH OXINE VAPOR TREATMENTS. I didn't have it on hand BUT DID have Vet RX so I was a bit rough & put 3 -4 drops in 4tbl. of water & forced it down & then massaged the crop. I then took my finger with it & swabbed the back of the throat & then coaxed my hand downward. She was VERY thin & weak so it required immediate action.
The Vet RX has Oregano oil but its far down on the list so off I went to a Vitamin store. Its a little pricey here & I spent $13 on a 1fl. oz bottle. I ALSO Got some Oikos PLAIN YOGURT UNSWEETENED WITH LIVE BACILLUS Bacteria at the grocery store(DO NOT GET SWEETENED Its BAD,doesn't have Live Bacteria,& sugar Feeds Yeast/fungus). I immediately mixed a few drops in my enema bottle & a tad of the yogurt,shook it & forced it down until I had 1/2 crop full & then giggled crop to get all tissues coated.
I then did an Oxine treatment(Oxine in Ca can only be purchased online & luckily I bought some Mos ago for respiratory infection)
I waited about 1.5-2hrs after treatment & mixed layer crumble,pellet,seed,2 drops of Oregano oil,1/8tsp. of the yogurt,& added some Corn Cobb pieces since I know that for sure will interest her) I mixed it all up & of course you will need to add water.
It wasn't soupy but it looked pretty nasty-wet. I placed it in front of her & she started to peck. I left & when I came back 15min later ALL FOOD was gone!! I made some more up & she ate part of that too. I "THINK" I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK & IF YOU HAVE FRUIT TREES IN YOUR YARD/THEY HAVE ACCESS THIS IS A FUNGAL INF. WAITING TO HAPPEN!! I'M PRESENTLY ON DAY 2-3 & I NOTICE THAT SHE IS BETTER BUT MY FEAR IS THAT THIS FUNGUS HAS REACHED HER LUNGS & I CAN ONLY HOPE WITH CONTINUED USE. The comb is still getting light blue but its 50% better. Best time for Oxine is during sleep. they have to breath it in deep(at least in my situation since this has gone on for so long). I'm doing 3 treatments a dayX15min a pop. I ALSO noticed by giving the OIL mix to the Hen with the red spot on her crop that already the spot is getting smaller but eating is still regressed. I think I might need to sneak out there at night & run the Vaporizor with Oxine. The GOOD thing is it will kill ANY bacteria on surfaces"read poultry pedia info. on its uses & where to buy it if you can't get it locally). IF YOU HAVE A FEEDING TUBE YOU CAN USE IT TO ADMINISTER OREGANO OIL MIX BUT I NOTICED WHEN I DID IT THE TUBE WAS FIGHTING TO GO DOWN EVEN WHEN LUBRICATED. THIS WAS ANOTHER TIP OFF TO ME THAT THIS WAS PROBABLY A THROAT-CROP- ISSUE SOLELY (BUT REMEMBER IT CAN GET TO RESPIRATORY).
WELL WE WILL SEE. I IMAGINE IF THIS IS FUNGAS IT COULD HAVE ALSO AFFECTED HER HEART BUT SHE IS RUNNING AROUND MORE/NOT JUST LAYING DOWN ALL THE TIME.
IF YOU CAN GET THEM WORKED UP A BIT(IF NOT TOO WEAK) VIA RUNNING /IMMEDIATELY GET THEM IN FOR THE OXINE TREATMENT. I tried this & laid a couple pillow cases over the top of the tub BUT STILL allowed a venting area at both ends. She hacked a little at first but I knew she was getting a good DEEP treatment.
Well I hope this might help someone!
T.C. & God Bless,Lucci-chicken little

Well, I JUST LEARNED that Some Blue in the Comb CAN BE related to Yeast -Fungal in Crop OR MORE SO Intestinal. It Can also be a partial Intestinal Blockage OR Pressure on Intestines. I have been Dealing with a Fungal Situation. In 2, A 2-3YO. Rooster/ a 4-5YO Hen.
They have had BOTH. However, I noticed when they had Heavy Intestinal Yeast their Comb was turning Blue Espec. on tips. When I had ORIG asked the Avian Vet she stated it can Represent many things! As the Intestinal Yeast Gets Better & STRESS LEVEL is Going Down the Blue is Going away. Its NOT always Heart Related so Check the FECAL,Intestines for Sensitivity-Bloating, & ALSO Check the Crop for ANY Lumps. This is MORE THAN LIKELY Fungus Growing (especially If they appear in the Corners Or Bottom Right!
The Reason For Mentioning is as Unbelievable as it sounds my Avian Vet did a culture of the Crop. Stated it was Yeast & this Lump was just the Crop Wall Swollen.
This is Only a Partially True Statement! Within that Lump is WATER/Sugar/Fungus. Its like a Capsule for the Darn Fungus!
I have written FEW Posts on this but IF I CAN'T DELETE the FIRST Ones OR EDIT Please Refer to the LAST POST by Me on "Fungal Cure"
I have had a LONG Battle with it (The CROP is Tough when the Lumps get Big).
The Drugs I paid Good $ for DIDN'T WORK(Itraconazole/Fluconazole) so I Found a Remedy on my own but it was a trial & error exp. for awhile. So many Variables like WEATHER!

Back
Top Bottom