My Rooster is attacking one of my hens!!

my dad wants to keep the roo and trade the hen. argh, he makes me insane sometimes. he has a big fenced in back yard but he won't let the chickens loose because he's worried about hawks. understandable but he's retired so he can watch them when they free range. oh well, it's his property so i have to respect that.

I also live in NC and have never seen any hawks try to mess with chickens...

Bill, I am currently having the EXACT same problem with my BO Roo. He is picking on my Barred Rock and has torn up her comb pretty badly. I also have 2 bantam Cochins in with my hens. However, they are getting taken to the auction on Saturday. I suspect that they are causing more than there share of problems.

I'm having the same problem, my rooster doesn't seem to want to mate with my hen but kill her instead. I have 4 hens and there's only one that he just doesn't like for some unknown reason, I've tried putting him in coup while she is out and that only makes him want to hurt her more, she's such a sweet girl I don't under stand why he hates her ..... Help ..name="NCchick1924" url="/t/638206/my-rooster-is-attacking-one-of-my-hens#post_8578194"]My Rooster (A Rhode Island Red) keeps attacking one of my hens. I have no idea why he keeps attacking it my husband and I believe that he thinks that it is a rooster but it is definitely not we got it last year as a bitty at chick days at tractor supply, the bitty was in the same crate as the americaunas  but is definitely not an americauna, the hen produces a light brown egg as opposed to a colored egg. Any suggestions as to why the rooster is attacking the hen.:he  It is very frustrating having to quarantine a chicken!!!!!!
[/quote]

My light brahma rooster killed my light brahma hen yesterday. All the hens hate this guy, they all run in fear of this bad boy. The only way he mates with any of them is by "chicken rape". He is a nasty piece of work and is going to find a new home. They are all only about 4 - 5 months old and were all raised together. I think he is just a jerk. No need for him to act like he does.

My light brahma rooster killed my light brahma hen yesterday. All the hens hate this guy, they all run in fear of this bad boy. The only way he mates with any of them is by "chicken rape". He is a nasty piece of work and is going to find a new home. They are all only about 4 - 5 months old and were all raised together. I think he is just a jerk. No need for him to act like he does.

I'm so sorry for you!

I had to do the same thing this weekend. My BO rooster decided that he hated my EE. He was attacking her relentlessly, I had to find her frozen in the woods and kick him off her at one point. He has spent his whole weekend in a dog crate up in the shop garage. Someone is coming to get him for his flock (or dinner, I dont want to know) today. Too bad. He is beautiful. But the girls have been so peaceful this weekend. Madge, my EE was really traumatized, but has started coming down off the roost yesterday. I think it will be a better flock, and my other rooster is a very amiable little silkie.

I see this thread is already a couple of years old, but I have just joined the chat & have also the problem of my (young) rooster pecking at one of my older hens. Last night I put the two of them in a small cage together where they spent the night.
This morning I have put the cage near to the house where I can survey them, so far so good! He tried pecking her once & she got frightened, but after a quick rattle of the cage he stopped & they're in this predicament together! I shall leave them there for a day or two, see what happens then...........

I am having this problem too.

My Roo is a Blue Orpington and an amazing specimen. Suddenly he is beating up my oldest hen. She runs to me daily. I have to feed her separately.

I don't want to get rid of him but today I saw him really aggressive towards OTHER hens!

I have decided to watch him. If he continues and the hens don't like him, he's stew.

My other option is to isolate until I can get a breeding hen for him and cull him once I get some chicks. Reeeeally is splendid looking, but his meanness might be genetically passed....sigh.

Any thoughts.

I had Roo and one older hen, for a couple years. But a month ago, I introduced two new pullets to the yard. At first the older hen really moaned her disappointment, and one of the pullets slept outside for two nights. I put her in the coop the third night where they stayed from then on without problems. Now they all scratch side by side.

I got one more hen Saturday, but when I tried to introduce the darker hen to the yard, Coco, who was staying out of the coop previously, now turned on the new girl. Then the other, Lacey Girl, joined in on the abuse. Before long, the oldest hen, Morena, started pecking her too. They chased her away from the food and got angry whenever she went around Roo.

But today, Roo started attacking her too, and viciously. I put her in the run at the side of the yard, with food/water, and she was fine all day. She tried to re-enter the coop, but they all chased her out again. So I left her in the run, the others in the big yard, and blocked the doorway between the fences. All was calm until she was walking along the cyclone fence between the run & yard, scratching dirt, and Roo saw her and ran to the fence to attack her, & without slowing down, he ran straight into the fence! Lol! That's what he deserved!!

Well, she slept in the coop the last two nights, but Roo wouldn't let her stay tonight, so I put her back in the run, but it is not fully enclosed. Just a tree limp perch and cover over the top/sides. I feel bad, because it's not the normal pecking order behavior... I'm going to watch her closely.

I thought to get another couple hens to put in with her in the run, and see if they get along. I hope that after they adjust, maybe they all can be introduced to the big yard with the others. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, warnings, etc??

I h Ave a rooster (black jersey giant)that was by himself cuz he was young and small. I put a black jersey hen in with him and he attacked her. Not in a breeding way. I took her out and waited a week then put him in with two of them. Same breed. He attacked them and they jumped up on the perch above him. They are there every time I go out there. One even laid an egg up there and it broke on the floor. So I don't think they are even eating. My question is will he stop after awhile or do I have to put him in canning jars

Back
Top Bottom