My Rooster is having a hard time trying to crow?

hannahwren

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
I have a Blue bantam cochin " Big Daddy Cain" but I have notice he is having trouble crowing the past few days, so yesterday I went out and added some vitamins an electrolytes to their water along with a few drops of VetRx. One of my hens seems to have a cough ( I guess it is a cough) and one eye keeps getting a air bubble on it. . .she can blink an it goes away. I put the VetRx under their wings, around the nostrils, an kinda rubbed it on their head. . . . .What might be wrong?? I would love some feed back. . . I have had them since last August. I have 15 in all. . .Love them. I have five girls sitting, three chicks already. . with many more to come soon. What should I do??? Please help, any extra advice would be amazing. As I DO NOT REALLY KNOW WHAT I AM DOING.

Vet Rx is like vicks vapo rub, I have read. I have some in my cabinet, but I wonder if it really does much of anything. You can get duramycin or Tylan at many feed stores. The Duramycin helped one of our roosters with similar symptoms.

Last edited:
Well, I am back from the FEED STORE where the guy helping me said ' You should just get new chickens." then I quickly told him "Not Happening!" I will do all I can to get them better. I purchased Duramycin-10, I have added it to fresh water, I actually got a med. dropper an gave each bird some, re applied the VetRx. . . He said if I did not see improvement within the next 3 days to come back in, that they had stronger meds. . . . even injections?? Idk! Any more helpful tips or ideas, are needed. Please!

Ok, so I used the meds in their water yesterday - mid day - and I had to go to town earlier. . . . . Well, I didnt go an change the med water till 4 this afternoon. The water had turned from yellow to red, is that normal????? I treated both coops, one having a plastic waterer an one having a galvanized metal container. . . both the same color RED????

An my lil RoseComb is still coughing. I spent the last couple of hours cleaning out the coop, an only saw her with one lil air bubble on her eye, which went away when she blinked. . . .I would really LOVE a few more ideas of what I can do to try an save my BABIES!!!! O and I have chicks hatching under hens through out all of this. As soon as they are completely dry and moving around good, I take them in the house, I have 4 right now. . . many more to come soon. I need some guidance.

Back
Top Bottom