my rooster is opening mouth gasping for air so often. Any tips/help?

Corn to me may indicate he needs access to better feed stuffs. His feathers look like hell.. What is usual regular feed including treats and supplements? Also, what is his age? Some birds look like that as they approach molting age even without flock antics, nutritional deficit, or external parasites. Have you checked his skin condition below his vent and on his belly to see if it's light pink or angry red or scabby at all looking for signs of lice/mites/etc.. When under the weather.. all other things may take advantage of any individual.

Then to me this is NOT related to the attack a whole month later with regular behavior including crowing since that incident.. but to the new introductions.

How long have you had him before the new introductions and do you know his age?

Gape worm itself is not super common though the condition of gaping IS.. that's what organ failure looks like when it happens.

I personally don't worm already ill birds without verifying need. Though I think I do see what azygous said looked suspicious in the droppings.

Large round worm species and tape worms are the only ones that can be seen with the naked eye (and may pass intermittently/ not in every dropping).. all other stay in the intestines and only pass their microscopic oocysts (eggs).

I know we're supposed to be looking for clues and answers.. but I take things quite personal.. and ask that you share his name and maybe a fun little story about his life if you're able. Maybe the encouragement and good vibes will find their way into his recovery! :fl (I'm not truly hippy dippy.. but I am lovey dovey)
I’ve had him since July 3rd, he was given to us, we don’t know his exact age, the vet did estimate around 2-3 years old, he usually has chicken scratch, but since then he has ran out so we are waiting for it to arrive, his name is pickles and if I’m correct his skin under his vent looks pink, the vet did suggest to check him again once he was better, I apologize if I missed anything but I am thankful for the good vibes and your help

he usually has chicken scratch,
At around 8% protein with no added amino acids, vitamins, or minerals like a formulated ration has.. this is an issue. It is meant as a treat (of 10% or less than total daily intake) but not as a sole ration.. usually stated on the package.

Please consider getting him a starter, grower, all flock, or flock raiser.. doesn't matter what it's called (preferably not layer as it has too much calcium for birds not in lay).. between 18-20% protein. That will be good for the ladies also.. providing oyster shell (and/or dry/crushed egg shell) free choice on the side for active layers. Only helpfulness intended in my statement that if you continue feeding only scratch you are very likely to see a whole host of problem unfold. Thankfully this part is easily remedied and sounds like you're more than willing, having already spent funds to see a veterinarian and all.

I would consider using a supplement like Poultry Nutri drench or Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Booster (or) Poultry Cell.. usually available at TSC.

At around 8% protein with no added amino acids, vitamins, or minerals like a formulated ration has.. this is an issue. It is meant as a treat (of 10% or less than total daily intake) but not as a sole ration.. usually stated on the package.

Please consider getting him a starter, grower, all flock, or flock raiser.. doesn't matter what it's called (preferably not layer as it has too much calcium for birds not in lay).. between 18-20% protein. That will be good for the ladies also.. providing oyster shell (and/or dry/crushed egg shell) free choice on the side for active layers. Only helpfulness intended in my statement that if you continue feeding only scratch you are very likely to see a whole host of problem unfold. Thankfully this part is easily remedied and sounds like you're more than willing, having already spent funds to see a veterinarian and all.

I would consider using a supplement like Poultry Nutri drench or Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Booster (or) Poultry Cell.. usually available at TSC.
Oh thank you really, I didn’t think it was a treat, I read reviews on the ones I bought and thought it was food, I’m sorry about that but definitely will get him flock raiser, thank you for your advice really, I will also look into boosters for them, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom