MY ROOSTER IS REALLY SICK!! Might have to out him down!!!!!

I've been feeding him and the poulets regular laying crumble and some corn, oat mix from Buckerfield's.

I have two pullets that are the same breed and my sister has 4 silkies.
I've isolated my rooster(Chester) so he doesnt infect any other chickens.

He was sick 3 weeks before this other sickness occured and I gave him scrabbled eggs for a week and a half and it didnt seem to work at all. And I do think it's a dehydration problem because hes not drinking. And where I live all the food stores close at 5.
I live on Vancouver Island, BC Canada. It's probably a totally diffrent time zone from you and I bet we have diffrent feed stores.

OK, what do you have in the house? Baby vitamins? Frozen corn? Mealworms? Some bread? Milk?
Maybe make a sloppy mix, Warm milk, layer pellets, a little sugar....
It's a little hard to have hope when you waited this long, you said he's been sick for weeks?

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster. It sounds like it's going to be really hard to get him to drink. The only other way to get water down him that I can think of is to dribble it down the side of his beak. You won't be able to get him to drink much, but at least it will be something. Can you try feeding him some sort of wet mash, with lots of moisture?

This might have all ready been asked--but how is his crop? Is it very large, or packed with food?

And this is probably grasping at straws, but what is the calcium content of the layer mash you are feeding them? The rooster isn't laying eggs, so all that extra calcium could be damaging his kidneys and causing other systematic problems (I know a lot of people feed their roosters layer mash without problems, but I thought I would mention it just in case).

You've had some excellent advice--I hope he gets well soon.
hugs.gif

Okay got it thank you. I'll try to make him drink water that way...or anyway to get water in him. And I have some sugar...maybe that'll work.

I checked his crop and his crop is perfectly fine. It's perfectly normal...

Back
Top Bottom