My Rooster is Singing the Egg Song!

joedie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
SW Indiana
I have 8 BCM cockerals that were hatched May 2nd. I knew they were all boys at about 3-4 weeks old except for one who kept it a secret until he was 15 weeks or so. I have always referred to him as the "Androgynous roo". He doesn't have the coloring of the other BCM cockerals. He only has copper hackle feathers but the rest is greenish black like a BA and leg feathering is almost non existent. But he is definitely a boy. He recently moved himself from the BCM flock to the mixed flock while free ranging. Today I walked into the coop and there he stood on the nesting board singing the egg song. A few hens were in the boxes laying. I heard they might do this if frightened but I don't think I scare him. I've just never heard any other roo I've ever had do this.
idunno.gif

I have one that does it too. He is definitely a rooster, American Game. He walks around the yard and occasionally sings the song. I don't have any hens laying, not sure why he does that.

Quote:
Yeah mine too.
roll.png
Heck, I wouldn't have even noticed that the pullets were laying if it weren't for Ollie, the CX cockerel, announcing it to the whole world.

Quote:
That could be the "I'm upset! Something's wrong with our world!" call, not the egg song. The two calls do sound similiar.

Okay so a little while ago this particular guy was breeding a hen when another rooster came from behind him and tried to breed him! I must just have too many roos!

Back
Top Bottom