My rooster just matured and he's hurting my hen, my flock is turning on her

henesseythehen

Hatching
Mar 28, 2020
I bought my rooster when he was a cockerel, and the hen I'm concerned about together about 2 months ago. They were my first chickens, but now I have a flock of 5. When I first brought them home they were fine, my hen would peck the cockerel and chase him around but she wasn't too aggressive, it was just normal pecking order and they got along well.

In the past week the cockerel started crowing, and now he's trying to mate with the hens. He's really aggressive with just the one hen, he pulled out her feathers on her head and slightly pulled out her comb (just a little bit). He is always with my other 3 hens and the hen I'm concerned about is always alone (n the past 2-3 days at least) and hides in the backyard. Is there any way I can improve the situation for her? She doesn't seem as happy as she usually is.

I would remove the cockeral. He's still maturing and following his hormonal urges. Your hens are paying the price for it. Many young roosters need management as they mature. I personally would pen him separately for a few months. I personally don't like those behaviors nor do I tolerate it. Once mature most act more respectfully. Most roosters aren't fully mature until 2 years of age.

Back
Top Bottom