My rooster killed a hawk ***Pics***

Good Smoke!
big_smile.png

There are situations where one can legally kill raptors once a permit has been obtained. Of course, I don't think they issue them to roosters, but I don't think there are any laws against rooster on hawk violence
smile.png

I've never heard of a rooster actually killing a hawk before. That was one lucky shot!

All hawks and owls are protected by federal and state laws. There are cases, however, in which they can create public health and safety hazards or seriously affect a person’s livelihood.
Contact your local USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services office first if you are interested in obtaining a shooting permit. The USFWS and state wildlife agencies may issue shooting permits for problem hawks and owls if nonlethal methods of controlling damage have failed or are impractical and if it is determined that killing the offending birds will alleviate the problem.

Permittees may kill hawks or owls only with a shotgun not larger than 10-gauge, fired from the shoulder and only within the area described by the permit. Permittees may not use blinds or other means of concealment, or decoys or calls that are used to lure birds within gun range. Exceptions to the above must be specifically authorized by USFWS. All hawks or owls that are killed must be turned over to USFWS personnel or their representatives for disposal.
Source

Good boy Smoke!!
thumbsup.gif
What a great rooster you have there! I feel so sad when I read stories of brave roos who lose their lives protecting their flock. I'm happy that Smoke and his girls are okay.

He definitely deserves some extra treats and hugs for being so brave.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom