My rooster laid an egg

they'reHISchickens :

She might be an EE cross. The definite roo is that white-feathered guy by the green bucket. That is classic roo coloration.

Yes, what breed is the crele rooster by the green bucket? He is very pretty. Pheonix hens have been known to have spurs and rooster feathering. It could maybe happen with other breeds. I have heard of hens crowing too.​

Quote:
Yes, what breed is the crele rooster by the green bucket? He is very pretty. Pheonix hens have been known to have spurs and rooster feathering. It could maybe happen with other breeds. I have heard of hens crowing too.

He is a mut mom was a barred rock and dad ?
68414_rooster.jpg

The brown pullet in the first pic is classic EE pullet coloring so we know there are EEs there. I think I see a muff on the s/he and a silver undercolor to the blue so that could indicate blue egg genetics. Some of our EEs have very different feathering so depending upon the mix, I won't say she is a he. Our EE boys are usually very pronounced by crowing time. I think jury needs more proof of either sex.

they'reHISchickens :

The brown pullet in the first pic is classic EE pullet coloring so we know there are EEs there. I think I see a muff on the s/he and a silver undercolor to the blue so that could indicate blue egg genetics. Some of our EEs have very different feathering so depending upon the mix, I won't say she is a he. Our EE boys are usually very pronounced by crowing time. I think jury needs more proof of either sex.

I agree.. This is a tough one.. especially since there is egg laying AND crowing involved.​

take a white color peice of something and slide a few (3-4) of those hackle feathers around the neck on top of it if they are slinder and pointed then its a roo if they are round then hen (wont be slinder)

looks like a roo in the first pic and a hen in the 2nd
sad.png
some hens do crow and the feathers do look fat and not slinder on its neck. if you do what i mentioned above you should be able to tell with ease and if not take of good pic of the feathers over something white and post it here (please make sure its the feathers around its neck) hope this idea can help you
smile.png

Last edited:
I am positive that is a boy. Those pointy saddle feathers wouldn't grow on a hen even if she did crow like a roo. The egg had to have been missed when the nest was checked. It could have been under the bedding and he shuffled around in there enough to uncover it.

Back
Top Bottom