My rooster was bitten and has maggots.. what should i do??

filimon

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Today my rooster was looking rather odd. I grabbed it and noticed that it had been bitten and had tons of maggots on its rear!!! What should i do to help him live???? Im desperate!

Wash the wound well....although gross, actually maggots are not a bad idea at times...they eat necrotic tissue. Wash that wound out really well so you can see what you're dealing with. Keep him seperated so the others won't peck at him. Antibiotics may be needed.

See what ya got & let us know.

I know it's gross but try to pick the live one's off.Most of the time they will readily drop off once they hit sunlight.Try gently washing his rump with some antibiotic wash.Maggot's reproduce quickly so get them before they eat up too much flesh.Most large chain stores have good one's.I have used plain saline solution also.Don't put ointment on it get a good antibacterial spray at first.DONT dress the wound either.Keep him confined away from flie's for at least a week or so until the wound dries up.I have treated quite sucessfully maggot's from some dog attack's etc. Don't give up.Just keep the Roo away from heat/ flie's and keep the site clean. Let Us know how he does.

When my rooster chicago had them (Actually my FIRST POST on Byc was about it) I bathed him in bleachy water, and they all dropped off. Some Triple Antibiotic Ointment and It healed up in no time!

This is gross but the maggots will eat the dead skin. Once all the dead skin at the wound site is cleaned up I would remove the maggots, one by one and then treat with anti-biotic cream. I would keep it coated down to detour maggots from returning to the area.

It really is gross but this practice is done in hospitals on patients with bad or not healing wounds. I myself don't know if I could handle that happening to me. I would have to wear a blind fold.

I would seperate the roo just in case other birds want to peck the wound. If you can't handle the whole maggot thing then go ahead and pick them off an keep the roo seperated and apply the anti-biotic cream several times a day. Good luck with what ever way you go.

S@R@

With cats and dogs you can't kill them in the wound as they release toxins when they die which can kill the host. I am guessing this should apply to any animal? Can you tell how deep the wound is? The washing off and/or picking them out would be best.
sharon

I had the exact same thing on my rooster. Bath him and get some Swat down at a pet store or feed supply and put that on there. Don't leave him with all those maggots going full bore.

My roo also had a wound with maggots. It was in his head, with maggots in the hole and in the ear and eye sockets on one side (the eye was ripped out by a coon). Anyways.... I used peroxide in a small spray bottle and sprayed it into the wound. The maggots came to the top and I picked them out with a small tweezers. (And dropped them in water to drown them!!) I had to spray into the wound about 5 times to get all of the maggots. Then I sprayed the wound with blue-kot (it's an antibacterial, anti-fungal and it "dries up" the wound area) and then rubbed SWAT around the wound to keep the flies from laying more eggs. The wound is now healing nicely. I still rub SWAT around the area daily as I don't want to be dealing with maggots any longer!!

Oh yes... and you need to keep the injured bird separate until the wound is completely healed. Otherwise the others will peck at it until it is open and bloody (and possibly worse than before).

Last edited:
Had this happen with a duck recently.

Drenched open wound in hydrogen peroxide, picked out maggots.
Then drenched wound with Betadine, picked out rest of maggots (there was thousands, we did this for over an hour)
Then sprayed on the BlueKote.
Repeated daily.

If it is just a surface wound you more than likely will not need antibiotics (unless there are signs of infection of course). One of my rabbits was hurt while was was on vacation and when I came back she had maggots all over her. They actually opened up the wound so much that I could see into her abdominal cavity through her hind leg!! I cleaned it out and kept her in the house until the next day, then I took her to the vet. Maggots are a really good thing but I was planning on taking her to the vet and I didn't want them dropping out ever where. Peroxide can dry out the area. I'd try the bleach water solution someone suggested. If it gets bad enough give it penicillin. The vet we took her to is the cheapest well know clinic in Indiana, they only charged me $15 to clean the wound, administer a penicillin shot, oral antibiotics for home, and a cleaning solution for it. For that open wound it took 3 weeks to heal. Open wounds like hers has to heal from the inside out so that it doesn't abscess.

Good luck and I hope this info helped, if not now then future references.

Goo nutrition is key to a quick recovery. Make sure he's eating and drinking really good.

Back
Top Bottom