My rooster was shot and is still alive...help.

Forkicks

Chirping
Mar 7, 2022
Looooong story short-ish. My stepdad decided to take care of our overabundant rooster problem. He resorted to the gun method and without telling me, took out four of them. Well, one of them that he shot is one that I wanted to keep, which was pretty unfortunate...I bonded with that darn rooster (I'm very sad about this). While I was out in the garden I look up and BEHOLD...my rooster has returned from the dead! Obviously the job wasn't done right on the poor fellow. He is walking, eating, drinking, dragging his left wing around. I can't see any blood or even where he was shot. I'm asking if I should do the more humane thing and just put him out? Should I leave him alone, after returning from the dead he certainly seems like I should give him his best chance at survival by making him comfy and just see where things go? Or should I spend the $$ and take him to the vet? I have no idea how high chicken bills can run you.

Thank you to anyone who can help me! My heart aches for this darn rooster and I just need a little advice on what somebody else would do.

I went out just now to try and take a picture but he ran away and is in his coop. I separated him from everyone else since he is hurt. If he is still doing the same tomorrow I will take a picture and post it.
Ok. I don't think anyone would want to give their opinion on whether he should be put down or not if we can't see the extent of the damage.

That makes perfect sense! Sorry, I googled chicken help and came across this website. First time here. I'll be sure to post pictures in the future for any serious chicken questions.
Welcome! This forum is a fabulous place for information and assistance. Without seeing the wound it would be hard for anyone to determine. As for me, if he's walking, eating, drinking and otherwise acting normal I'd give him a fighting chance (depending on wound) with home treatment. Where you are located will impact how much your vet cost is. For me, vet is pretty much out of the question for our girls. There is only one nearby and it's about $300 for a visit, a fecal test, and an antibiotic. Love my girls but that's just out of the budget for them for a vet who isn't really that knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom