My rooster

jimgunn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Hello all

Here is my rooster: (Questions below)
smile.png

I got this guy from a friend who bought him as a chick from a friend, expecting him to be a she. I have posted pictures of him before on here asking what he is and came to the conclusion that he is a Cream Legbar crossed with what I'm guessing is either a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans. I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether he is crossed with a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans. He is coming up to 20 weeks old now. He was one of the fastest developing roosters I've seen, with long tail feather at around 12 weeks old and crowing at 14 weeks. Saying this, his development has slowed dramatically and I think it may have stopped all together now. He is quite a small slender rooster, slightly taller than the hens but not by much at all.

Also (I think this bit may be in the wrong part of the website but hey ho) he has been mating with the hens and we have now got a broody hen laying on 10 eggs. The eggs under her a from red comets, light sussex, barred rock and speckledy (marans crosses) hens. Im guessing all the chicks will have the barring from him but not sure. If anyone could confirm that, then that would be great!

Sorry for such a long couple of questions

Any response would be greatly appreciated

Are you in the US? If so, I doubt he's cream legbar as they're quite rare still.

I'd go with a cross of something barred with something white egg laying with big ol' earlobes, leghorn type from his light body.

The dark color of his barring indicates he only has one barring gene, so his offspring will be fifty percent barred, and not linked to the gender of the chick. Some birds will have complete barring, some will be partially barred and half will be non-barred. I'll bet you'll have some cool looking babies! I've had some good colors with my black sex link roo, and more just hatched!

My best guess is a barred rock cross, not sure what with though.

Because he has no leg feathering I would guess NOT cuckoo maran, although not all cuckoo marans have leg feathering many of them do. Plus barred rocks are far more common. I agree he doesn't have cream legbar in him, they are very hard to come by and he would have some chestnut on his shoulder and saddle feathers if he did.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I am actually in the UK and cream legbar was suggested when he started to grow a small crest, his brother (who is still with my friend) has got an even bigger crest. I also didn't think that his comb and wattle was big enough to be a leghorn.

Here is a picture of him when he was younger but showing the crest

Hope this helps

Oh I didn't realize you were in UK... then cream legbar lineage is certainly a possibility especially with a small crest. That also may explain the lack of chestnut, you folks over there have much better cream legbars with less chestnut, here in the US we only have one or two breeders to get ALL our stock from and all our roosters are too colorful. We have a lot of work cut out for us to get them anywhere near yours.

Either way he is a handsome boy!

Sorry for the confusion, I'm guessing all the above info is the same then just for a legbar cross and not a leghorn.

Do you think he is likely to grow any bigger and will his offspring have the crest as well?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom