My Rooster's Comb is Turning Purple in the Back

Chirps

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Cabot, Arkansas

My rooster's comb is starting to turn purple in the back. I noticed it this morning during their daily inspection. He was awfully thirsty and it was assumed that he was dehydrated. I have no idea why. There are several waterers in the coop. So I mixed up some electrolytes for him and made sure he had plenty to drink. Then I put some Vet Rx on his comb to increase circulation which seemed to work. And because my flock is incredibly spoiled, I whipped them up some scrambled eggs and added some minced garlic on top. His comb turned red again and all was well. Until this evening...

Now the back of his comb is purple again. Not only is his this way, but so is my other rooster's comb. And I heard one of my pullet's sneeze.

I'd like to treat my small flock of 8 for a possible respiratory infection and have purchased some Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder, but I am confused as to the dosage. How much of this powder do I mix for 1 gallon?

If the comb turns bluish / greyish / purplish then this symptom could be caused by any of the following:
  • Blood flow is compromised for some reason, such as cold comb, heart failure, liver failure, and so on. Most say that it is poor blood circulation or heart failure. You are doing a job job taking care of him and what you are giving him will treat a variety of symptoms. I can not answer your last question. I am sure someone on here can answer that for you. :)

My rooster's comb is starting to turn purple in the back. I noticed it this morning during their daily inspection. He was awfully thirsty and it was assumed that he was dehydrated. I have no idea why. There are several waterers in the coop. So I mixed up some electrolytes for him and made sure he had plenty to drink. Then I put some Vet Rx on his comb to increase circulation which seemed to work. And because my flock is incredibly spoiled, I whipped them up some scrambled eggs and added some minced garlic on top. His comb turned red again and all was well. Until this evening...

Now the back of his comb is purple again. Not only is his this way, but so is my other rooster's comb. And I heard one of my pullet's sneeze.

I'd like to treat my small flock of 8 for a possible respiratory infection and have purchased some Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder, but I am confused as to the dosage. How much of this powder do I mix for 1 gallon?
That can be fairly common in roosters with large combs, as long as it is just it is just near the back. I have had a couple of very healthy roosters who at times did this. Of course I would keep an eye on them to make sure they were active, and eating and drinking. I would not treat with antibiotics for one chicken sneezing once or occasionaly. They can sneeze from dust or feed, and other allergans. Make sure that you coop is not too hot, has maximum ventilation, is dry, and has fresh litter. Those things can increase chances of getting a respiratory disease. If you every need the tetracycline powder, the dosage is 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water to make the maximum 800mg dosage. Look for the Duramycin 10 label on this link: http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

Back
Top Bottom