My rooster's foot is very swollen and there is no evident external damage.

ladybug3698

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2019
Recently I saw him limping on his left foot and it was quite swollen so I gave it an epsom salt bath. At first I thought it could be bumble foot, but there was no evident wound. When I bent his leg he did not seem to be in pain, and he has been walking on it okay. Either he has been pecking at the scales on his foot or they have started to fall off. Do you know what could have happened?

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 26
Do you think it is broken or strained? Amazingly, they can break/strain their ankles doing something as simple as jumping off of a rooster bar. Soak in epsom salts to help with pain and swelling. I am not sure if you should wrap it or not, but I do recommend putting him in an area where he has limited space to walk/run so that it can heal. A dog crate in the coop, for example, is a good option.

When only one foot is swollen, I would think it might be sprained or broken, or it could be an infection from bumblefoot. You may need to do some warm Epsom salts or betadine soaks for up to 20 minutes once a day, and look for any tiny cuts or scabs in the skin of the footpads. Limiting his activity and no jumping up and down from roosts would be what I would do.

Some other things that can cause a swollen foot are gout or mycoplasma synoviae, a bacterial joint infection. Usually those affect both feet more often than one foot.

Last edited:
Do you think it is broken or strained? Amazingly, they can break/strain their ankles doing something as simple as jumping off of a rooster bar. Soak in epsom salts to help with pain and swelling. I am not sure if you should wrap it or not, but I do recommend putting him in an area where he has limited space to walk/run so that it can heal. A dog crate in the coop, for example, is a good option.

OK, he can't really go down the ramp into the run some stays in the coop for the most part, also he does not appear to be in much pain when you touch or manipulate the foot/ankle.

Back
Top Bottom