My run is so muddy and its starting to stink

Plenty of "Compost Browns" to create a deep litter should solve the odor issue. Wood chips, shavings, straw, pine straw, old leaves, and so on.

Is water running into your run/collecting in a low spot or is it just the ridiculous amount of rain we easterners have seen in the past week that's causing problems in a normally dry run?

Plenty of "Compost Browns" to create a deep litter should solve the odor issue. Wood chips, shavings, straw, pine straw, old leaves, and so on.

Is water running into your run/collecting in a low spot or is it just the ridiculous amount of rain we easterners have seen in the past week that's causing problems in a normally dry run?
I have a ditch that runs I side right next to the base of the coop and water seems to run along it. Where I see the most buildup is right at the bottom of the steps leading up the ramp to inside the coop. Wouod you suggest sand or no?

While you are working out a long term solution, you can try getting some sweet PDZ granules and sprinkling liberally in soggy areas, it should decrease the odor. It is supposed to convert ammonia to nitrogen I think? I have used it during the rare occasions it gets that wet here, and I also use it under bedding in coops and pens that have wood floors. It does seem to help. My one run that floods, I have to keep a ditch open that diverts the water from going into the run, just a shallow ditch that I dig with a little sharpshooter shovel that directs the flow of water away from the run. Caution - when you put such a ditch in an area you walk all the time, it is super easy to forget about it the first few times you walk there and you can get a very nasty ankle twist. Voice of experience here.

I have a ditch that runs I side right next to the base of the coop and water seems to run along it. Where I see the most buildup is right at the bottom of the steps leading up the ramp to inside the coop. Wouod you suggest sand or no?

I don't have experience with sand except that my soil is sand already. I'd add more dry bedding or sit a straw bale there so the chickens can get through the wet place to the rest of the run.

I feel for your problem -- we've had the most ridiculous amount of rain here too and all the creeks are flooding.

Ha. I'm in same boat and glad I'm not the only one. Our juvenile run is an absolute wretched petri dish at the moment because of all.of.the.rain! Mine mostly really bad design flaw, on hubby's part, not gonna lie. WhOle chicken setup on a slope.. our juvenile coop is addition built onto uphill side of our main coop. To control erosion, from all the soil loosened from scratching, hubby added hardware cloth to the bottom side that attaches to both sides of the coop. It works. Due to nearby trees growing, the shade increases every year. Run is uncovered. My plan is to remove hardware cloth, scoop out the build up at the bottom side, as much as I can. It's packed. I have pine shavings on hand so I'll use those for now and just stir them up daily to encourage them to dry. Once i get my adult flock thinned, I can move the juveniles into the main coop.

Do you have standing water in the run from the ditch?

Wood chippings are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom