My Run Size - Question

Connorrm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
How long will it take my chickens to turn their run into a Moonscape of nothing?

Right now it's 40 feet x 30 Feet. There are several trees in it for shade/shelter as well as a few non-toxic shrubs. I have 12 chickens total. 2 Golden Comets, 3 PRs, and 7 Speckled Sussex. They are all about 10 weeks old.

Their coop is 17 x 8 and they have free feeding, and water at all times in the coop, as well as miscellaneous treats I bring them every day. So, any thoughts till the run turns into a muddy mess?

They might not. It sounds like a big run! I have a 24x36 run and my chickens took a year to turn it into one giant dust bath. But I have twice the amount of chickens in it then you have.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's good. I hope they don't. It would be nice for them to keep that big space green. They enjoy laying under the buses and trees though. It's also where their dusting spot is.

Quote:
You might want to fence off an area in the run for a couple of weeks to let it recover, then move the fence to another area and do the same. Kind of like using the paddock system within their run.

You definitely have lots of space for them.

Back
Top Bottom