My runt ranger at 5 weeks old (with pics, kinda gross looking)

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
His abdomen is still disproportionately large and at the end of the day, I'd swear his crop is double the size of his head! He's got a few feathers but not many. He's gonna be *COLD*. I've got the heat lamp up and don't plan to take it down any time soon, but he doesn't go out as much as the others. Still, he seems to have as good a quality of life as any of the others do. (Though BOY does he look angry at me in that first picture!!! He wanted DOWN.)

e9a999cea767.jpeg

2d7c54a432f8.jpeg

b565775e2406.jpeg

What happened to Ranger? Why aint he got no hair? I own and love a naked hampster, I could learn to love Ranger. (I think)

I wonder if he doesn't have the recessive gene for featherless???

You know...you COULD have the first broiler that has no feathers!

No, no, his name isn't Ranger, he's a freedom ranger breed meat bird. He's a runt and just never grew the feathers in.

If he stays alive and is too small to process, and is a girl, we'll keep her. If he's a boy, I'll have to rehome him. Maybe the animal sanctuary.

Ms. Lewis Rich :

What happened to Ranger? Why aint he got no hair? I own and love a naked hampster, I could learn to love Ranger. (I think)​

He's still growing, but that's an interesting idea. If she does turn out to be a girl, once she's big enough so she's not growing rapidly, a fleece "apron" might help her get through the winter. If it's a boy, I'll let his next home deal with it.

If there was some way to ship him safely and inexpensively, I would in a heartbeat. I hate to see a bald bird struggle with the upstate NY cold.

Back
Top Bottom