My silkie has diarrhea and lost ALOT of weight

Is this bird the same one from a while back with the mystery cluster things?

They ALL had the clusters. The county agriculture department said they were from chiggers. I put sulfer in the dust bath, treated the yard with seven. I haven't had any issues with the clusters since. She is the only one out of 7 in the flock who is sick. Everyone else has ran about in the yard the last 3 days and chased bugs.

They ALL had the clusters. The county agriculture department said they were from chiggers. I put sulfer in the dust bath, treated the yard with seven. I haven't had any issues with the clusters since. She is the only one out of 7 in the flock who is sick. Everyone else has ran about in the yard the last 3 days and chased bugs.
OK thank you.
I couldn't remember if you even got a good answer on what caused those.

I am thinking you might want to start tube feeding her now.
Is she drinking and eating well today?

I am going to guess that it is highly likely that the new birds brought in a new strain of coccidia and she has been suffering from it.

It is just a guess...if she has had coccidiosis for a while it could have basically torn up her intestines to where she isn't even able to absorb the proper nutrition anymore and there is probably no fixing that.

The other thing...Merek's comes to mind.

Do you have the liquid or powder Corid?
What do you mean by increased it?
How much were you using vs how much are you using now?

I had 1tsp in a 2qt container. I added a extra teaspoon to the qt. I'm not sure if she is eating the amount of food she should be eating. She eats but prob about 30g of chick starter that I mix with corrid to make it mash. I also just added only the corrid water. (Shes keeping her head up, she wasnt before so I took the bowl of water out)

OK thank you.
I couldn't remember if you even got a good answer on what caused those.

I am thinking you might want to start tube feeding her now.
Is she drinking and eating well today?

I am going to guess that it is highly likely that the new birds brought in a new strain of coccidia and she has been suffering from it.

It is just a guess...if she has had coccidiosis for a while it could have basically torn up her intestines to where she isn't even able to absorb the proper nutrition anymore and there is probably no fixing that.

The other thing...Merek's comes to mind.

I thought of mereks. However she can walk, she is just weak and doesnt really want to. She mostly sits up, after a bath she is tired and will lay on one side for a bit. But then she is right back up sitting how she should. I have never done tube feedings. I have a 22g catheter from a IV and a 10cc syringe. She does eat and drink on her own. I filled a bowl with 60g of food and added corrid. I'm trying to see how much she will eat on her own. I dont think I can tube feed her actual food. I will prob tube feed her a good dose of corrid, just to make sure she is getting enough. What amount should I mix for 10cc?

Shes making some headway on her food. She always seems bad in the morning, then perks up in the afternoon. I also just had a baby chick hatch. I haven't had them together. But they are both in my living room on separate sides. Do you think that's okay? Or separate rooms? I'm trying to not mix germs etc, its hard bc they are both needing my constant attention. I also had to go get my 1 chick that hatched a chick friend from the store so it wouldnt be lonely . ‍(This has drastically cut down the amount of attention he needs, so we are not constantly having to hold him to make him shut up)

I know I'm doing to much and wouldnt have added another chick, had he not been the only one that hatched. I noticed she was sick on hatch day! This chicken mama is wore out. I feel like anything I do is not the right thing for either of them.

Attachments

• 20181024_161822_002.jpg
    20181024_161822_002.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 9
@KikisGirls
Can I mix probiotics with the corrid? Or should I just be consistant with what I have done with the feed and corrid?
No I don't think I would mix it.
If she doesn't eat enough or drink enough she won't get better.

Are you thinking about tubing her? I'm not a tuber but @casportpony can't point you in the right direction for doing so.

No I don't think I would mix it.
If she doesn't eat enough or drink enough she won't get better.

Are you thinking about tubing her? I'm not a tuber but @casportpony can't point you in the right direction for doing so.

I'm thinking about it. I'm seeing how much she eats on her own. She's prob ate at least 30g/60g I gave her at 11AM. What is the dosage for corrid in a single chicken? I just wanna make sure she is getting in the amount that she needs. I also gave her a wormer earlier today (panacur) since I had not seen any improvement.
Currently she seems very alert, not moving, but content. Not super sick how she was this AM.

I'm thinking about it. I'm seeing how much she eats on her own. She's prob ate at least 30g/60g I gave her at 11AM. What is the dosage for corrid in a single chicken? I just wanna make sure she is getting in the amount that she needs. I also gave her a wormer earlier today (panacur) since I had not seen any improvement.
Currently she seems very alert, not moving, but content. Not super sick how she was this AM.
There isn't a dose per say... You are suppose to mix it with the water and let them drink it. But since she isn't feeling well she probably isn't drinking enough water.
So... Are you meaning how much water should she be drinking total each day?

What does she weigh again?

I thought of mereks. However she can walk, she is just weak and doesnt really want to. She mostly sits up, after a bath she is tired and will lay on one side for a bit. But then she is right back up sitting how she should. I have never done tube feedings. I have a 22g catheter from a IV and a 10cc syringe. She does eat and drink on her own. I filled a bowl with 60g of food and added corrid. I'm trying to see how much she will eat on her own. I dont think I can tube feed her actual food. I will prob tube feed her a good dose of corrid, just to make sure she is getting enough. What amount should I mix for 10cc?
Just because she can walk doesn't mean it isn't Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom