My silkie is laying...now what?

Thanks guys for all the info. But how long should I leave the eggs in for? I actually took one of the eggs already and have it in the incubator to see if it's fertile. It's only been 2 days, should I check it yet or wait a couple more? All the info would be great! I have incubated before, but not my OWN EGGS...it's so eggciting!!!
clap.gif

Quote:
I would wait until at least day 5 to candle. It's hard for me to see anything in Silkie eggs before then. My Silkie laid about a dozen eggs and then went broody. That is about the cycle of her mom too. My other Silkie that just went broody is about the same. Their eggs were all taken away, but they were with other chickens that would lay and eventually they both would start trying to sit on the laying nest of eggs. So when that happened, we decided to give one some eggs to hatch. Now that the other is broody we are hoping to get Ameraucana eggs for her to hatch, but for now she is setting on one, most likely unfertile egg, just to keep her interested. My two seem to have a very strong motherly instinct and one was on the nest without eggs for almost 3 weeks! She is about to hatch out some eggs... I hope... Friday or Saturday I hope!! So excited!!

I meant to also say we collected the eggs and stored them in a carton pointy side down and tilted the eggs back and forth morning and night, then gave her some eggs to incubate once we had all the eggs we wanted her to sit on. This way, they will all hatch at the same time.

So I just wanted to let everyone know, that today there is three eggs in my silkie nest. THREE!! I haven't been collecting them in hoped that she will go broody, but as of today no such luck. How much longer should I wait before I collect them and put them in the bator? I want to give her a fair chance, but I don't want the eggs to ruin...
he.gif

Last edited:
I just went through my first "live Silkie hatch" and incubator hatch both were a success! Only because of the BYC. My eggs, including those I had shipped, went from bator to hen to bator....It's a miracle I have hatched anything, the story is way too confusing to tell. Let's just say at one point my hen has sat on all eggs, including ones that are not her's and 2 weeks old now:/.

Anyways.... What I did was collect her (own) eggs and replace them with golf balls. On about egg five, when I went to collect I thought my hen was dead! (previous post very funny broody story)long story short on egg 5 she roared like a mounain lion and went at me like a pit bull, so I knew it was time. This was the first time for both parents. I think I started to collect fertilized eggs too soon. Again, per my BYC friends. I slipped her back her eggs. They hatched yesterday!!!!!!!! So far I have 2 beautiful black silkie chicks. My advice is to take in what all the pro's say and go with what you feel is right. I haven't lost a chick yet...

Good luck. Thanks BYC!

Last edited:
Hi, I have one silkie mom is raising her own chicks, and two broody silkie moms are sitting on Welsummer's eggs now. (it's day 23. I know babies inside are still alive and getting ready. Hope!) I always put them in the cat carrier or small dog carrier, even little box which she can just fit with drink & water. They usually lay around 15~20 eggs and they go broody when they lay around 10 eggs or so. You just have to make it sure she is sitting on the one spot(usually nesting box) most of the time. you should separate her from other chickens. So, they dont bother her & the eggs. Broody hens are really good sitter & mommy! Good luck & enjoy! Noriko.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom