My silkie wants babies...

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
My 8month old sweet silkie wants babies. We haven’t been eating as many eggs so with the fridge full I haven’t collected eggs the last couple of days. Today when I go to feed and let them out of the coop for a few minutes I noticed Cotton didn’t come out.

She was busy sitting on 3 eggs.

EBDFAB09-AB88-4ED2-AB4F-9903A1C91EB5.jpeg

To her great displeasure I put her in the run and the took the eggs and candled them. Yup they have little veins. I put the back and after getting some water she went back and sat on them.

So I added two more eggs that my other silkie and d’uccle layed under her and she hasn’t budged. I have the fan pointing towards her to keep her cool since it was 93 degrees today. Later I took her back out and put her in the run and she drank and drank for the longest time and then ate a little then she went back to sit on the eggs.

My question is I am going out of town next week will she take care of herself? Should I put the water and food in the coop with her? The other 3girls don’t like that she is hogging the favorite box but aren’t messing with her.

I should have guessed she was going broody as her feathers are everywhere. I thought she was just molting but she has pulled all her chest feathers out.

Can chicks grow up with a flock or do I need to take Cotton and the eggs out at some point?

My question is I am going out of town next week will she take care of herself? Should I put the water and food in the coop with her? The other 3girls don’t like that she is hogging the favorite box but aren’t messing with her.

Can chicks grow up with a flock or do I need to take Cotton and the eggs out at some point?
Hard to say what will happen. Some birds will set just fine right in one of the main nests, sometimes it can be an real mess. I move broodies to wired off section of coop to avoid any drama. They need enough space for nest, feed, water and some walking around room to stretch her legs and poop away from nest and feed/water. I usually move them before giving fertile eggs, cause they can have a temper tantrum at being moved and may take a day to settle back in.

First thing to do is mark those eggs very well, so you can spot any other eggs added to nest. You already have a staggered hatch going by adding 'just a few more eggs'.
I would put the feed/water in the coop, but not where she can reach it from the nest.
The heat could be a concern, 93 outside or in coop?.
Not sure a fan blowing directly on her is good tho....but keep the air moving.

Hello. I would set her up in her own separate spot with feed and water. Don't add in more eggs because she will leave the nest once the first Chicks hatch out to feed and water them. All eggs should be set within a 24 hour period.
Simply make a nest with her eggs and a secure spot and she will continue to set.

I realized adding more eggs to the batch was a bad idea after I already did it. Now I might have to buy a incubator.

It’s 93 outside but the coop is under shade and it has plenty of ventilation. The fan is blowing into the coop but it’s in the run so not direct.

I realized adding more eggs to the batch was a bad idea after I already did it. Now I might have to buy a incubator.

It’s 93 outside but the coop is under shade and it has plenty of ventilation. The fan is blowing into the coop but it’s in the run so not direct.
How many days apart?..When did you add in the new eggs?

I’m thinking about two days. I think I collected eggs when I refilled feeder and water. I’m hoping I did because if I didn’t they are more like 4days.

Hmm maybe I should candle and see? She’s so grumpy it’s funny. She is my sweetest chicken also even now she doesn’t peck she just growls.

Well I went to take the other eggs out this morning and saw my EE is upset that Cotten has taken over the favorite nest and is laying her eggs in the run. Confused that I only got one egg today I checked under Cotton and now there is 6 eggs under her.

I didn’t get around to marking the eggs. So I am going to try to candle them and see which eggs are growing.

My coop isn’t big enough to make a separate section just for her. My coop is a 5x5and the run is 8ft and it has a small round dog pen attached. The pen I have attached to my run to make it larger can be sectioned off but other than a tarp type top ( I also wired with small 1inch wire with the same wire as a skirt) there isn’t any shelter. My flock is 2 sikies, 1 EE, 1 d’uccle and a silkie Roo. Everyone gets along and my rooster is gentle with the Ladies.

I know someone will say it but I plan on keeping a hen or two from the chicks and will find homes for the rest. My tack store sells them for people also. At some point I want to expand. I got this coop to figure out if I liked having Chickens and I really do.

I would leave her where she is. She will take care of herself and her eggs. When eggs hatch she will take care of chicks. You will need to put food and water close to nest after she hatches so chicks can get to it.

Back
Top Bottom