My silkie's first egg!!

BabyChicken420

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
South Texas

My 7/8 months old silkie layed her first egg Saturday, after months of wondering if she was a hen or rooster. We discovered it Sunday morning, then as we were outside playing with them in the afternoon she came and sat next to my fiance, made weird noises.. And layed another egg right next to him. It was so weird! Today she layed another egg, so thats three eggs in a row!

Anyone who has silkies, when did they start laying? And is it consistent? Because I heard they will start laying only 2-4 times a week. Mine is a bantam silkie. I also have a silver laced wyandotte and a barred rock both about 1 month old, when do they usually start laying?

Congrats on your first eggs. She will settle into her regular pattern in a few weeks, right now her system is getting things figured out so she may not continue laying so reliably going forward. They are not a particularly productive breed once they settle into regular production.
Your other birds are of breeds that can generally be expected to start laying somewhere between 20-28 weeks with a couple weeks on either side not being too unusual, so you have some time to wait yet.

Congrats on your first eggs.  She will settle into her regular pattern in a few weeks, right now her system is getting things figured out so she may not continue laying so reliably going forward.  They are not a particularly productive breed once they settle into regular production. 
Your other birds are of breeds that can generally be expected to start laying somewhere between 20-28 weeks with a couple weeks on either side not being too unusual, so you have some time to wait yet.
Yes thats what it seems like, she looked very confused when the second egg popped out. Thanks for the info!!

Back
Top Bottom