My Speckled Sussex's are hatching- UPDATED W/ PICS

lexustami

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
St. Clairsville, OH
I hatched out silkies just 3 weeks ago and now my Speckled Sussex's are starting to hatch. So far, there is only one out but all of the rest of them are alive. I can hear them inside of the eggs.

If they all hatch and are OK that would make this a very successful hatch. I started out with 10 eggs (I think, I will have to recount them.) and I only lost 1. (it exploded in the bator.) EDIT: I actually started with 12 eggs, lost 1 and had 11 hatch.

These are shipped eggs too.

I will keep you updated as they arrive. Pics coming soon!

Take care,

Tami

Last edited:
This is taking way too long!!!

Actually, the first one was a day early so I still have all day tomorrow and Monday for them to hatch and be on time.

There are a couple of them pipping but no major progress yet. I can hear them all chirping though so they are really close!

Take care,

Tami

One of my Speckled Sussex hens won Best of Show for open poultry at our fair this week. The judge really liked her and said he actually sees very few of them, which gives them an advantage. I'm glad your hatch is working out as well. We just had a Sportsman 1502 arrive, so I'm about to visit this incubation forum a lot more with questions!

Well, while I was gone this afternoon the rest of the chicks hatched. I've now got 11 healthy chicks! This was out of 12 eggs, won on Ebay and shipped to me. Very impressive hatch rate.

I will wait until they fluff up before I start taking pics. I've got to move the Silkie's out of the indoor brooder and move them to the outside brooder. Time to get working!

Take care,

Tami

Last edited:
Congratulations! I, too, have had excellent hatch rates with shipped eggs. Several factors come into play: excellent packing, P.O. was kind to it, and good health of the breeding stock from which the eggs came. Last, but not least, accurate temps in the bator and a diligent operator.

I just got a good look at the chicks as I took them out of the incubator and put them into the brooder.

I only got 1 Speckled Sussex and the other 10 are Black Jersey Giants. LOL

I ordered both kinds from this seller but only received one batch of eggs. I thought they were the Speckled Sussex eggs. The other batch will be coming when the weather turns cooler.

But they are cute anyway! Pictures coming soon!

Take care,

Tami

Back
Top Bottom