My Truck Wont Start When It Is Raining

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
IT NEEDS A TUNEUP. EITHER THE DISTRIBUTOR IS GETTING WET OR THE WIRES ARE BAD. i have had 3 distibutors on this truck since i bought it in 2005 always getting wet . WHEN IT STOPS RAINING AND DRIES OUT IT STARTS UP. ITS A 98 CHEVY K 1500 5.0 VORTEC. I GOT IT STARTED AND WENT DOWN THE ROAD AND BACK LIKE 5 MINUTES AND WHEN I PUSH THE GAS PEDAL I CAN HEAR IT SPARK KNOCKING. I PLAN ON GETTING IT TUNED UP AT THE END OF THE MONTH. THE GARAGE I GO TO SAID AROUND $350 FOR PLUGS WIRES DIST & ROTOR FUEL FILTER AND PC VALVE. 2HRS LABOR. WILL WD40 HELP IT START FASTER WHEN ITS WET. WHERE DO I SPRAY IT ON THE TOP OF THE DISTRIBUTOR. I HAVE CHICKS COMING TO THE POST OFFICE THIS WEEK SO HOPEFULLY IT WILL START WHEN THE POST OFFICE CALLS. IF NOT I WILL HAVE TO CALL MY BROTHER FOR A RIDE.

I don't think WD40 will help much if at all. Too bad I don't live closer, none of those are hard to do. Sounds like you may have a crack in the distributor cap, if you could see it I would say you could try putting some sealant on it. But it would actually be just as easy to take the cap off and put a new one on. I have no idea of why it would be going through so many? My '93 is on it's 2nd or 3rd cap since we bought it in '99, and we put close to 200,000 miles on it in that time.

Lol. I Hear That . I Think I Will Give Him A Ring Tommorow To Give Him A Heads Up . Let Him Know If His Phone Rings Early Wendesday Ot Thursday Morning To Come Get Me. We Are Splitting The Order Of 25 White Leghorn Female Chicks. So I Dont Think He Has A Choice He Better Come Get Me . Lol.

If you are hearing spark knock then you have a timing issue not a water issue. The advance is advancing to far or sticking. There is a knock sensor that should retard the timing to keep this from happening assuming the time is set right an everything is working. Starting issues can come from that too. Maybe the water is affecting the timing?

If you are actually getting water in the distributor then you take the cap off. It has 2 or 3 screws that you push down on an turn half a turn. Then spray WD-40 in to the cap an on the inside parts. It should dry fast but let it dry then put the cap on. It should start then. You need to go to a 4X4 forum to read up on water related issues.

Ive had a wet distributor once or twice in my life
big_smile.png

l.jpg

In all seriousness, the tune-up jobs aren't hard. If you get a good book like Chiltons, they give you the directions step by step and have pictures, too. If you ever get a chance, go to a library or a parts store and look for a Chilton's repair manual. If you find one, look through it and see what it is like. If you do the easier jobs yourself you can save some money.

Back
Top Bottom