My turkey scalped my 11 week old chick!

Angeltears247

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
Massachusetts
My 4 month old Turkey got into the chick feeding area, I came out to the coop to see my female turkey there with blood on her beak and chest and blood speckles in the snow, I followed the blood to find my 11 week old Gold Laced Wyandotte with her scalp hanging off! I rushed her inside and cleaned the wound, put 1/2 a baby aspirin in her water, and applied neosporin (without pain relief). That was 5 days ago. I have been keeping her inside, I tried a non stick bandage and butterfly strips to reattach the flap of scalp, the next morning she had gotten the butterfly's and bandage off and the flap was dried up...I made the choice to remove the flap, as I could not reattach. I have been putting neosporin on her head twice a day, added nutrition drench to her water and have been giving 1/4 cc pen-g injection daily for the last 3 days. My questions are, at what point do I allow the would to scab over? The wound is down to the skull bone, and I am not sure if I'm supposed to let it dry out. She's happily eating, drinking and hanging out with us in the house. She seems to be in good spirits and health, a side from the gruesome wound! Will the skin grow back? If so, will this wound inhabit feathers/comb growth? Should she remain inside for the winter? Does anyone have experience with this type of injury? Do you think she has a good chance for recovery?
Sorry for so many questions, this little one is precious to me (as are all my pets!) She was a gift from my inlaws (along with her 2 sisters) who remembered I had said I would love to own silver and gold laced wyandottes!!
This is a pic of when I brought her inside:
Screenshot_20181120-221905_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20181120-221900_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20181120-221900_Video Player.jpg

And this is of day 3
20181117_171249.jpg
20181117_171250.jpg

Sounds like you are doing everything right. It will take a while to start scabbing over. If there is no skin over the scull, then I'm not sure how much of that will eventually be covered with feathers, could be she always has a bald spot.

I would keep putting your ointment of choice on the wound. The Penicillin was a good idea.

You will want to keep her in until she heals. Depending on your climate, it may be well into winter when that happens. Likely she will need to be acclimated to the weather and she will need to be re-integrated within the flock so you may end up with her inside for a good while. A lot depends on how fast she heals and if she has not set backs.

You are doing a fantastic job caring for her and your decision to remove the flap was a good one.

Poor thing!
It will heal. It will take time though.

I would keep her indoors for as long as it takes to heal completely.
By that time we’ll be in the dead of winter weather and it’ll be difficult for her to make the switch from a heated house to the cold outdoors so that is something to consider. ...that you may have a houseguest until spring.

Yes, keep it moist with neosporin, or whatever you choose.
Some people use vetericyn, honey, sugar, for healing.

Id say keep doing what you’re doing.

When you’ve completed a course of the antibiotics, i’d personally not give another course unless she seems infected.
The topical antibiotic might be enough if the wound shows healing and isn’t draining purulent material.

I think a moist woundbed heals faster and stronger than a dry one. It allows the rim of the wound to heal without cracking.
If it needs periodic cleaning, flushing with saline gently is best rather than rubbing.

I would keep her inside for several reasons:
She’s away from her attacker and isn’t stressed.

No flies!
Even one fly could mean disaster for this dear bird.

She’s in a very clean environment to minimize the possibility of infection.

Offer plenty of protein. Her body needs extra to lay down new tissue.

No her comb won’t grow back and she’ll probably always have a “bald head” but she’ll still be beautiful and special.

I applause your dedication to her wellbeing.

Thank you all sooo much for your replies! She's a sweetheart, and I just want to do everything possible to give her the best chance at recovery! I don't mind her in the house, I have a house duck so they are chatting. I don't want them too close right now as I don't want to risk any further injury, but they are chatting back and forth through the baby gate! I will continue to keep it moist. I have been doing saline rinses to cleanse the wound before reapplying neosporin. I only planned on a 5 day cycle of pen-g. I'm keeping an eye on the wound for pus or drainage, so far so good! I will look into the medihoney, and post updates!
Thank you!
We decided to name her "Scully" lol

Thank you all sooo much for your replies! She's a sweetheart, and I just want to do everything possible to give her the best chance at recovery! I don't mind her in the house, I have a house duck so they are chatting. I don't want them too close right now as I don't want to risk any further injury, but they are chatting back and forth through the baby gate! I will continue to keep it moist. I have been doing saline rinses to cleanse the wound before reapplying neosporin. I only planned on a 5 day cycle of pen-g. I'm keeping an eye on the wound for pus or drainage, so far so good! I will look into the medihoney, and post updates!
Thank you!
We decided to name her "Scully" lol
Great name :D and Well done!

It's been 11 days now, and Scully is healing beautifully! Although I noticed comb growth, I'm confused as I was told that GLW had a rose comb, but her comb is not like my others with rose comb...and I'm growing concerned that Scully may be a roo!!
Oh dear...hoping I'm wrong! "She is just super sweet!View attachment 1601575
Scully definitely looks like a cockerel to me.
He is healing well! Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom