My turn to be suspicious- male/female cochin? (drumroll.... BOY!)

Atomic Ranch

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
El Cerrito, So Cal
About 5 weeks now... I'm new to chickens... love this cochin! I've noticed an upright posture, some territorialism (though they all seem to be sorting themselves out right now), and a huge growth spurt this week. So, what do you all think? Too early to tell?

cochin.jpg

Edit: I think it's more like 4 weeks here.

Last edited:
Oh, I really do hope so. Gosh, it's just so sexist!!! Aw... poor roos
sad.png
I would love to have one if it were legal to do so in my zone. A little noisy, but no more than the doggies around.

LOL, I get that impression, although he/she may be in the process of figuring out that it's bigger than the rest of them... challenging the Delawares who are older. What can I do if I can't keep him?

You can post him on Craigslist or something like that. Sometimes people are looking for a roo, but chances are if you can't keep him someone else may want to have him for dinner.
I think it is a he because of the stance and the way it is losing those shoulder and top of the wing feathers. All my Cochin males go through that stage.

Usually Cochins are pretty good boys, but if you get your birds from someone who doesn't breed for good temperament, you may get one who isn't. You never really know until they hit their teens and see how they respond to 'rehabilitation' procedures. Handle him, give him treats, and maybe you will never see so much as a stink eye from him. But in general, Cochins are one of the friendlier breeds to have.

I have 2 bantam cochins I was sure were both roos until this week. All of my 6 (or maybe they're 7 weeks old now?? LOL) week old chicks suddenly had a HUGE growth spurt this week, and it is now apparent that I have a pair. They both had larger combs for several weeks, though. But with this growth spurt, the boys got huge and red, and the girl's is still on the small side and is yellow and pink, not red red.
smile.png
So my point is, there's still hope. Wait a few more weeks. I have a lf light brahma who has always been very dominant. She's always been very upright in stance like yours and very pushy with the other chicks. I was afraid I had gotten a cockeral from the pullet bin with her, but she is definitely a girl at this point.
smile.png
It's all personality and attitude.

Back
Top Bottom