My turn to be suspicious- male/female cochin? (drumroll.... BOY!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Atomic Ranch, May 16, 2011.

1. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    About 5 weeks now... I'm new to chickens... love this cochin! I've noticed an upright posture, some territorialism (though they all seem to be sorting themselves out right now), and a huge growth spurt this week. So, what do you all think? Too early to tell?

[​IMG]

Edit: I think it's more like 4 weeks here.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I would think you would see more red in that comb by now if it were a roo! I'm guessing pullet! [​IMG]

3. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Oh, I really do hope so. Gosh, it's just so sexist!!! Aw... poor roos [​IMG] I would love to have one if it were legal to do so in my zone. A little noisy, but no more than the doggies around.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Looks like a cocky little cockerel to me.

5. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    LOL, I get that impression, although he/she may be in the process of figuring out that it's bigger than the rest of them... challenging the Delawares who are older. What can I do if I can't keep him?

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    You can post him on Craigslist or something like that. Sometimes people are looking for a roo, but chances are if you can't keep him someone else may want to have him for dinner.
    I think it is a he because of the stance and the way it is losing those shoulder and top of the wing feathers. All my Cochin males go through that stage.

7. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Wow, tough break! [​IMG]

I'll keep posting photos. We'll see... What are Cochin roos like?

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Usually Cochins are pretty good boys, but if you get your birds from someone who doesn't breed for good temperament, you may get one who isn't. You never really know until they hit their teens and see how they respond to 'rehabilitation' procedures. Handle him, give him treats, and maybe you will never see so much as a stink eye from him. But in general, Cochins are one of the friendlier breeds to have.

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have 2 bantam cochins I was sure were both roos until this week. All of my 6 (or maybe they're 7 weeks old now?? LOL) week old chicks suddenly had a HUGE growth spurt this week, and it is now apparent that I have a pair. They both had larger combs for several weeks, though. But with this growth spurt, the boys got huge and red, and the girl's is still on the small side and is yellow and pink, not red red. [​IMG] So my point is, there's still hope. Wait a few more weeks. I have a lf light brahma who has always been very dominant. She's always been very upright in stance like yours and very pushy with the other chicks. I was afraid I had gotten a cockeral from the pullet bin with her, but she is definitely a girl at this point. [​IMG] It's all personality and attitude.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Im gonna say possible roo due to the slow feather growth. Unless its younger seems more around three weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by