My turn to rant... food bank food

I worked as a caterer for parties held for a Fortune 500 Company. Their boss used to INSIST that leftovers from parties be donated to the local women's shelter. Mind you, in one case, these leftovers had sat on a boat dock in the heat for hours. At first, I instructed my staff to sorta hedge the truth: "We will have Chickenmaven come take these ..." Finally, when I was toe-to-toe with the honcho, I asked him if he wanted the leftovers for HIS kids! I told him I was unwilling to feed them to anyone else's children.
I grew up DIRT POOR and it burns me to think that people think that the needy do not deserve good stuff.

When it comes to canned and boxed dry goods I'm not very finicky about the expiration date.

However, for those who buy bent cans, please note that bacteria can develop.

Even if things aren't canned right.

My cousin in Oklahoma ate some canned food that wasn't canned right and got botulism. She was hospitalized and paralyzed for months.

Take heed, it does happen.

I've been hungry. I would go days with nothing to eat but grits or ramen noodles, and not enough of those to even begin to fill you up. I would gladly have taken out of date food! Packaged goods or not.

I will say for my hunger though, it made me an interesting cook. It taught me how to take whatever I have and make something decent out of it. It is how I learned to make from scratch chocolate cake, with no milk, eggs. Lol. I had a really old container of cocoa and used it!

Quote:
I'm with you on this. I make almost everything from scratch.

I have concerns that this is the problem with the food bank phenomenon. Many people who would eat anything (gratefully) never go there. They just struggle along. And many people who are not hungry enough to be grateful go to the food distribution points just because they can. Food banks were a wonderful idea until they became a government bureaucracy.

I would suggest to people, not only donate to food banks to reach the hungry people you don't know, but also find out who might need food among those you do know. Give them food directly. You can do it anonymously if you think it would be awkward otherwise. Trust me, if they are hungry, you will have done something noteworthy that day. It will matter to them in ways you can't imagine.

I agree with the world hunger day.
because of my religion I have to fast from sunrise to sunset every day for a month every year, and it really changes how you see things. and even so, I have the luxury of knowing that once the sun sets, I can eat and drink as much as I want.
and at the end of the month you have to pay a certain percentage of your savings to the poor. it's only about two percent and only if you can afford it, but if every one did something like that, there would be so much less hunger.

Quote:
You know if you put a stick or two of spearmint gum into dry pasta or corn meal etc, that the weevils don't get into it.

Rufus

Quote:
We were raised on beans and rice. Without beans, it isn't a meal. I think it is a cultural thing. We use meat as a condiment to flavor the meal. It is to taste, not to get full on.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom