My uncle thinks all species of doves/pigeons came from the Rock dove/pigeon?

FrostyWind

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
He thinks all species of pigeons and doves came from the Rock dove/pigeon. I showed him the Victoria crowned pigeon, the Nicobar pigeon, pheasant pigeon, scaled pigeon, wood pigeon, bleeding heart dove, fruit dove and all sorts of other kinds of pigeon species and he just says they're just different fancy breed of pigeon that came from the domestic pigeons we use as racing? I explained that there are different species of pigeons, different species of tigers, different species hyenas and different species of tarantulas?
I don't know what else can make him realise that their are different species of pigeons in the world that are big, small, and huge?

I suppose in a way you are both correct. I 'borrowed' the first paragraph from wiki. The are all from the same family but within that family there are different species.
Pigeons and doves constitute the animal family Columbidae and the order Columbiformes, which includes about 42 genera and 310 species. The related word "columbine" refers to pigeons and doves.

I don't know what else can make him realise that their are different species
"Which came first the chicken or the egg?"
When animals will cross breed some people lump them into the same family. Irregardless of different species. Are they wrong or are they looking at things at a different angle. Lions and tigers will cross bred; horse and donkeys; pigeons and doves; in a lot of cases the offspring will be sterile. Which proves there are some major differences in the genetic material. However they still have more material similar than different.

Uncle is just yanking your chain because he enjoys a debate.

"Which came first the chicken or the egg?"
When animals will cross breed some people lump them into the same family. Irregardless of different species. Are they wrong or are they looking at things at a different angle. Lions and tigers will cross bred; horse and donkeys; pigeons and doves; in a lot of cases the offspring will be sterile. Which proves there are some major differences in the genetic material. However they still have more material similar than different.

Uncle is just yanking your chain because he enjoys a debate.
I hope so, cause I don't know if he's serious. He has never seen another type of pigeon before.
He seen many other kinds of doves but not a different kind of pigeon....
This whole Pigeon and Dove thing is starting to confuse me, and I don't know if I'm making any sense..?
They say "Dove" means a small pigeon
And they use Pigeon for the Bigger specie.
Like you'll see a Ground dove and call it a dove because its small.. but if the specie is bigger like the Nicobar pigeon, its a pigeon because its bigger.
I don't even know what I'm saying or if I'm making any sense.
Also, sorry forfor the late response, I didn't see these messages?
Pigeon=Big
Small Pigeon=Dove

Back
Top Bottom