My uncle's girlfriend's anklebiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I uderstand you not wanting kids at the wedding. Totally fine, but calling them "ankle biters" When I first opened this thread, I thought it was bout "dogs"
idunno.gif

But on a serious note, If you don't want kids at your wedding, it's your day/ your choice and me having children would respectfully decline to come, and send gift with another family member. With that being said, I have over 30 cousins on one side, so kids are everywhere in my family, and the only reason we get together, is "for the kids"
smile.png

If I got married today, it would be no kids and no gifts. If I'd been invited to a wedding when my son was small and it was no kids, I wouldn't have attended or sent a gift. This is not per Miss Manners, it's my feelings.

Your wedding, your day, your rules -- and don't feel guilty about whatever your preferences are. There are only two people that need to be there -- well, not counting whoever is officiating and the witnesses.

Quote:
I thought this thread was about dogs too?
hmm.png

X2....

A wedding is all about family not all about the gifts.

Edit: If the gift value amount per catering expense ratio is important to you then a financial/credit screening may also apply to your guest list.

Just remember what comes around goes around..... In a few years IF you have children and are excluded from a "special event" simply because of your current family status do not be disappointed.

Last edited:
I agree trying to break even on gifts is probably tacky, but I am trying to save cash. I am planning a wedding that I am paying for with my fiancée. No parental help, and I'm not trying to break even on everything, just catering. Anyone who has planned a wedding knows there are a million other things that go into it, and every bit costs money. Cake, decor, DJ, venue, etc.

I also am trying to have my wedding at a very special place (leu gardens if any of you have been there) and there is a limit to the amount of people I can have there. I have a guestlist of 108 people and I have to trim that down to 75 somehow. There is just no way I can fit kids there - especially since I don't want them.

I feel like I got on peoples bad sides when I said I do not like kids. I wonder why people take that so personally. It's not the first time. I am greeted with quite a lot of hostility when I tell people that I don't like or want children. It's not like I'm going to beat them or something. I just don't want to hang out with them.

Oh, and no one has heard of calling kids anklebiters? My grandpa called my sister and I that growing up. I thought it was funny.
smile.png

My personal favorite term for kids is 'freak' trophies... You probably understand what I'm trying to say. I think that one is hilarious! XD

Trying to save money is not tacky. Trying to break even on the value of gifts IS really tacky.

You are getting flack about not liking kids because you referred to them with a term used for dogs which is rude. Freak trophy's is even worse. Nobody is saying that you have to like kids but there's no need to refer to them in such rude ways. If my sis called my kids either I'd be insulted and she would have gotten a lesson in what is rude. Weddings are about joining a couple in a celebration and joining the families. If you don't want kids there that is your choice it's your day. If you want to trim the guest list just tell everyone with kids that you don't want their ankle biting freak trophy's there and trust me you guest list will shrink.

I have never heard someone say they want to break even on gift/catering. That is just mind boggling. If you are trying to save money and are that concerned then grab your best man and matron of honor and go get married at a pretty location. You can always have a small reception later. Weddings are supposed to be the bringing together of a couple not about how many gifts and how much did they cost. Your not selling stocks.

Last edited:
On that breaking even on gifts idea......

Remember that just because you put it on your gift registry list, does not mean the guests will buy it for you. They might look at your list, see the general color of stuff you are buying and then raid their "slightly used" pantry for a gift. Or find something at a thrift store or garage sale that when originally purchased might have had some value, but now you just have their junk. And with this economy, don't expect some one to go in to debt to buy you something worth the cost of the catering. And most of the catered meals I have been too, you could beat the food at Home Town buffet for $10, just because you paid way more does not mean you are going to get a gift worth what you paid. They are there to join in your celebration, not pay for the privilege.

FYI, at my wedding I got a set of glasses first given away by the Mobil gas station 10 years prior, used crock pots and a few broken items. Those families probably could not afford more and felt they were giving me something special they had.

If you really want to get the cost of the wedding back in gifts, grab your parents, best friends and the Judge. Then go out and blow your wedding budget on just what you want for your new life.

I guess I'm just not as sensitive as everyone. It's a joke- you know, for fun. Everyone's quick to get all insulted about their kids, but it's nothing personal. I refer to all kids as anklebiters because my grandpa did. Not a big deal. Heck my friend Amy babysits and we all call them the *Edited out by staff - keep it family friendly* . Term of endearment, really. Surely nothing to get offended about.

Maybe I'm strange, but when I found out through the grapevine that Megan spent $50 a head on catering, I went out and spent at least $50. The meal and drinks benifitted me directly, as in, I ate them. Seemed only fair that I should at least pay for my meal in a sense.

Is that really so strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom