My "unwanted Easter pet" add...

I think this is just the nicest thing to do. You BYC folks are just so durn nice. God bless the little critters that make it to your door, and YOU too!!!
thumbsup.gif
bow.gif
love.gif

i think the notion of this is good but there are some down sides you may want to consider first.

1. taking unwanted poultry can carry huge risks. disease and illnesses. are you going to quarantine all of the birds separately for at least 30 days? people who want to GET RID of something are not going to tell you if their animals are sick, injured or exposed to illness. ALWAYS look a gift horse in the mouth.

taking sick or ill animals is promoting moving sick animals and spreading disease. also, if you don't know for sure what the disease is, you can be fined and or have your property quarantined.

2. by taking the poultry you reinforce people using animals as disposable animals.

3. chicks and ducks that have not been put under heat during their stay at the previous owner's home will most likely fail.

again, it's a sweet gesture, but a very risky adventure. are you going to pick them up? what is in the soil there? are the people giving up the animals walk onto your property?

you all may want to really give this a hard think before proceeding.
smile.png

Quote:
to answer this

#1. If they tell me and tell me about their symptoms it is at my discretion to take them or not. if i meet them in town i can look the birds over myself and take them or not.

#2 we are not reinforcing it. no matter what we do, people will always buy poultry as easter gifts. we offer a safe and loving home for them, otherwise they end up at park abandoned. i know a lady who works for a duck rescue

#3 well if they die at my house after a cold home, then they will be loved and cared for until that point. Recently i took some old hens, dunno if you saw that post. Well one died shortly after arrival. She was really old though. I loved them from the time they arrived. She was shown love, and then passed. That makes me feel good, knowing she had tlc before she died. Other unwanted poultry will get dumped if no one takes them. Then they are scared, cold and will died alone. Which do you prefer?

ETA: (dunno why this never got posted when i wrote it before....) But just want everyone to know i am not trying to start a fight. I am just telling everyone my intentions. I do know the risk of the flock as i stated in the ad. My mom works for a vet, and they take poultry in too. So i could call her anytime. Thats why i stated that in my ad. As for ducks, if i cant take them my friend that has a duck rescue can take them, or i could call her with any questions. My ad was made for my situation not everyone elses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
My mom said no sick birds so that's out.
I can see how that would reinforce them but at least what ever bird that comes has a better chance for survival.
We would probably pick them up or meet some place. I've read threads where people discourage people coming to your property because of disease and birds getting stolen and stuff like that. What do you mean by "whats in the soil there"? You do bring up valid conserns and I do see what you mean. Thanks for your concern.
smile.png

the statements are not meant to be taken personally, they are simply opinions.

your answers are simply opinion as well. there have been no statistical information given.

not all birds end up 'at a park'. if you have a friend who rescues ducks, why not work for a true rescue? most diseases will not be easy to spot by looking a bird over. they may not present themselves EVER, but may shed to your other birds. you may be risking your flock just by handling the bird you wish to rescue. a 30 day quarantine is suggested away from ALL other birds, and biosecurity measures taken when handling the other flocks, walking through other coops etc.

dieing alone versus in another home with a person, does not make the issue better. it simply allows an out for the person who bought animals on a whim for a holiday and possibly extends the time for the animal to suffer while dieing.

my preference on how an animal dies has no bearing on whether you are correct or incorrect. these are only suggestions and you can either take them or not, but unless one is a poultry vet, has access to one or is a professional 'rescue', these are all valid points by far.

Quote:
for one, there is no way to tell if a bird is sick. there is a chance for ANY bird bought, gifted or shown to be ill and not show symptoms for two weeks or not at all.

there really is no way to calculate the survival rate for being rescued unless one keeps detailed records and for a long amount of time.

picking them up or meeting still has no guarantee that you would not bring issues back to your residence. the 'people coming onto your property' can be a nightmare. if they wear the shoes they went through their runs/coops, they can bring it to your property. even handling said birds can allow you to bring anything home to your flock.

the soil can be contaminated with disease. some diseases will actually be maintained in soil and then if you were to walk through or get an animal that was on that property, you will have it on yours. many times, the soil on a property will have to be inspected by the state (whichever of the States one lives in) and actually cleaned with bleach water and then declared safe for poultry.

you are more than welcome. again, i'll stress that this is not info to be taken personally, it's just the factors that you will need to take into account.

Miss Jayne- Do you know if animal shelters take in chickens or ducks? If they do, maybe some information about turning over unwanted animals to shelters could be helpful. And the mindset of disposable animals is disturbing, but short of more knowledge before purchasing them, not much will prevent them from either being dumped, or having a sad short life in a place where no one cares for them or wants them. So it's kinda a catch-22. If they are taken in, it can have bad consequences, and if they aren't it can be bad too.

Personally, I can't have birds of any sort right now, but it's an interesting thought.

Back
Top Bottom