My version of the whizzbang plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cromp, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cromp

cromp New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    Hi all,

I liked this version of the whizzbang plucker so much I decided to copy it.

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was worried the gap between the tub and the featherplate was too wide (3,5 cm instead of 2,5 cm in the whizzbang plan book), but we plucked 10 chickens Wednesday and no legs got stuck. I did place the outermost circle of featherplate fingers as close to the edge as I could though.

Here's a video:

The gap for the feathers to go through obviously isn't wide enough, so back to the plasma cutter it goes.

Wouter

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Look at that! Excellent work!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Dang! That's pretty slick! Nice work!

4. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    How hard was it to make that???

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, start selling those. [​IMG]

6. cromp

cromp New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. Building this wasn't easy, as I had never welded before and learned by myself as I went.
    Also, I bought a small plasma cutter specifically for this project. Not absolutely necessary for the featherplate, made of 5 mm thick aluminium, but I sure was glad I could use it to cut holes through the stainless drum. Drilling stainless is not my idea of fun.

Wouter

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i watched the video twice, and it doesn't make sense to my brain how it works so amazingly... what are those things, rubber...? and does it break the bones of the bird...?

i want one now... even though i have never needed one before, it's a huge awesome machine that does stuff... WANT!!!...

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I like your prototype. Did you get a Harbor Freight plasma cutter?

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Very Nice! That thing should last forever. What is the diameter of the drum? Looks bigger than most blue barrels.

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I was looking at videos on youtube and usually I end up seeing something on the suggested videos that I click on and end up on something totally different than I started with. I went from chicken feedings, to duck feedings, then to duck attacks, and came across the whizzbang plucker. First time I ever seen anything like it other than those big machines like on Dirty Jobs. I was wondering if the plucker would be strong enough for the large white turkeys? My FIL was thinking about getting some more turkeys and I know around Thanksgiving or Christmas time it is cold to be standing outside hand plucking a bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by