My version of the whizzbang plucker

cromp

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all,

I liked this version of the whizzbang plucker so much I decided to copy it.

Here it is:
DSC_3676.JPG

DSC_3678.JPG

DSC_3696.JPG

DSC_3698.JPG

I was worried the gap between the tub and the featherplate was too wide (3,5 cm instead of 2,5 cm in the whizzbang plan book), but we plucked 10 chickens Wednesday and no legs got stuck. I did place the outermost circle of featherplate fingers as close to the edge as I could though.

Here's a video:

The gap for the feathers to go through obviously isn't wide enough, so back to the plasma cutter it goes.

Wouter

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. Building this wasn't easy, as I had never welded before and learned by myself as I went.
Also, I bought a small plasma cutter specifically for this project. Not absolutely necessary for the featherplate, made of 5 mm thick aluminium, but I sure was glad I could use it to cut holes through the stainless drum. Drilling stainless is not my idea of fun.

Wouter

i watched the video twice, and it doesn't make sense to my brain how it works so amazingly... what are those things, rubber...? and does it break the bones of the bird...?

i want one now... even though i have never needed one before, it's a huge awesome machine that does stuff... WANT!!!...

I was looking at videos on youtube and usually I end up seeing something on the suggested videos that I click on and end up on something totally different than I started with. I went from chicken feedings, to duck feedings, then to duck attacks, and came across the whizzbang plucker. First time I ever seen anything like it other than those big machines like on Dirty Jobs. I was wondering if the plucker would be strong enough for the large white turkeys? My FIL was thinking about getting some more turkeys and I know around Thanksgiving or Christmas time it is cold to be standing outside hand plucking a bird.

Back
Top Bottom