My weightloss journey

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
You don’t need to run to lose weight. Just simple body building exercises with weights is great - for cardio go for a walk! It’s a myth that cardio helps burn calories and helps you lose weight; as a matter of fact it can be counterproductive and damage your knees. Keep doing what you’re doing girl, dont let anyone talk you into some weird diet just do whatever works for you (as long as it’s healthy)! I train 4 days a week with a bodybuilder and I rarely do any cardio (I prefer to get my cardio outside of the gym by hiking)
Oh and one more thing - screw the scale! Go with how you feel best. According to the “charts” I’m 10 pounds overweight - but I ignore that because I love my body way more now than I did 10lbs ago!!! No desire to change it.

Attachments

• 2A541E2B-CD9B-479C-899A-71EDBD2BAE1D.jpeg
    2A541E2B-CD9B-479C-899A-71EDBD2BAE1D.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 2
  • D0FD9248-1DA1-48B4-BF20-FF6A075C8FB8.jpeg
    D0FD9248-1DA1-48B4-BF20-FF6A075C8FB8.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 2

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Wow that's not a very supportive friend... is the future husband more supportive to working out with you? It can and should be disguised as fun. Exercise isn't just jogging in a big oval, it's also tennis and soccer and volleyball. We're coming into winter which means fewer outdoor activities. Not to be crude (since this is a family website) but there are also many bedroom activities that burn calories lol
He is supportive of the diet and encourages me to get up and exercise. Hes not a fan of me getting an exercise bike though. He'd rather I join a gym that has the equipment. Exercise equipment takes up a lot of space.

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
You don’t need to run to lose weight. Just simple body building exercises with weights is great - for cardio go for a walk! It’s a myth that cardio helps burn calories and helps you lose weight; as a matter of fact it can be counterproductive and damage your knees. Keep doing what you’re doing girl, dont let anyone talk you into some weird diet just do whatever works for you (as long as it’s healthy)! I train 4 days a week with a bodybuilder and I rarely do any cardio (I prefer to get my cardio outside of the gym by hiking)
Oh and one more thing - screw the scale! Go with how you feel best. According to the “charts” I’m 10 pounds overweight - but I ignore that because I love my body way more now than I did 10lbs ago!!! No desire to change it.
We dont own a scale actually. I'm going based on my measurements.

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I don't have time at the moment to read this entire thread, but I'd like to throw in my experience, if that's ok.

Yes, eat less, eat better. Yes, move more and more often. Yes, drink lots of water. I've been told the amount of water should be: take your weight in pounds, divide by two, and that's the number of ounces of water to drink each day.

Whee. Well, that's a lot of fun, isn't it. Not!

When I wanted to lose weight, one thing that helped was doing things that I couldn't eat while doing them. Reading = eating, but I couldn't eat and knit. Sometimes, there was that voice in the cupboard whispering in my ear, "I'm here... I'm, chocolate... you love me..." I stopped buying one pound bags of M&Ms. I couldn't eat them if they weren't there. And it helps if others in your household don't insist on having that stuff around.

One of the things that helped me the most when food was calling me, was to derail that train by some kind of diversion. Take a shower. Take a nap. Take a walk. Ok, so it's just a diversion, but if it can make that voice SHUT UP for twenty minutes, I can get back in control of what's going on right now.

One more thing... You can do this to fit in a dress. You can do this for your spouse-to-be. But you have to, above all, do it for YOU. Other people disappoint, eventually. Things aren't what they were promised to be. You will always be there for you. Forgive yourself, love yourself.

I'm cheering you on!

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
I don't have time at the moment to read this entire thread, but I'd like to throw in my experience, if that's ok.

Yes, eat less, eat better. Yes, move more and more often. Yes, drink lots of water. I've been told the amount of water should be: take your weight in pounds, divide by two, and that's the number of ounces of water to drink each day.

Whee. Well, that's a lot of fun, isn't it. Not!

When I wanted to lose weight, one thing that helped was doing things that I couldn't eat while doing them. Reading = eating, but I couldn't eat and knit. Sometimes, there was that voice in the cupboard whispering in my ear, "I'm here... I'm, chocolate... you love me..." I stopped buying one pound bags of M&Ms. I couldn't eat them if they weren't there. And it helps if others in your household don't insist on having that stuff around.

One of the things that helped me the most when food was calling me, was to derail that train by some kind of diversion. Take a shower. Take a nap. Take a walk. Ok, so it's just a diversion, but if it can make that voice SHUT UP for twenty minutes, I can get back in control of what's going on right now.

One more thing... You can do this to fit in a dress. You can do this for your spouse-to-be. But you have to, above all, do it for YOU. Other people disappoint, eventually. Things aren't what they were promised to be. You will always be there for you. Forgive yourself, love yourself.

I'm cheering you on!
Thank you for the encouragement! I took my measurements this morning and after a week and a half on this diet Ive lost 2 inches off my bust! It was very encouraging because I was starting to feel like this wasnt working. I'm definately gonna make an effort to move more and drink more water.

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Yay! Positive feedback is wonderful! :wee

One more thought... it is really easy to derail yourself when there is a setback or temptation. Especially this time of year when there is sooo much emphasis on food! "I had a piece of pie. Well, I've screwed up, so I'll have another!" You see what I mean. I learned that if I fell off, I had to get back on that horse like nothing happened, and ride.

That's part of the forgive yourself thing. A slip up today does not wreck tomorrow. Or even the rest of today.

Congratulations on the two inches! I know how those victories feel. :hugs

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Yay! Positive feedback is wonderful! :wee

One more thought... it is really easy to derail yourself when there is a setback or temptation. Especially this time of year when there is sooo much emphasis on food! "I had a piece of pie. Well, I've screwed up, so I'll have another!" You see what I mean. I learned that if I fell off, I had to get back on that horse like nothing happened, and ride.

That's part of the forgive yourself thing. A slip up today does not wreck tomorrow. Or even the rest of today.

Congratulations on the two inches! I know how those victories feel. :hugs
Ive already figured out what I can and cant have for thanksgiving based on my diet. I cant even have green bean casserole because of the milk and fried onions 😔 My plate will mostly be turkey. The good news is, is that I like turkey. I hate sweet potatoes but I can have them. I can also have a vegetable medley. No rolls though 😕

Chookwagn

The Foreigner
Premium Feather Member
Mar 28, 2020
Land of the Long White Cloud
No one ever has "enjoyed" working out or exercise! People do it because they have pushed thru the pain and non enjoyment and forced it to become a habit and stuck to it! Once its an engrained habit they do it willingly because its "now time to workout" time and its habitual.

Trying to find an exercise you love.... is like trying to find a unicorn....

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
No one ever has "enjoyed" working out or exercise! People do it because they have pushed thru the pain and non enjoyment and forced it to become a habit and stuck to it! Once its an engrained habit they do it willingly because its "now time to workout" time and its habitual.

Trying to find an exercise you love.... is like trying to find a unicorn....
Honestly all the people I've met that are really fit say they love working out because of how great they feel afterwards. I've never really had that feeling when Ive essentially forced myself to work out. I can say that I enjoy biking and swimming though. But living in the midwest makes those activities difficult in the winter months. Its been raining all day here but I promised the dog a walk so I'm hoping it stops soon. Otherwise I'm gonna have to go with the umbrella

Top Bottom