My WH ducks pick on my Pekin!

mfnewman

Hatching
Nov 2, 2018
Hello, I'm new to the site although I use it to look up everything about my ducks!
Anyways I started my flock with two Pekin ducks in August. Sadly one of my dogs got loose and killed one of them and left the other very injured (she made a full recovery) So after the attack I bought two Welsh harlequin ducks so my Pekin wasn't alone. A drake and hen pair. When I introduced the WH and my Pekin, the WH pick on her relentlessly. I figured at first they had to find the pecking order. But it's been weeks and it's getting to the point they're pulling out all the feathers on my Pekin and wont let her eat or drink. Is there anything I can do to help? I tried having them together but separated (tbrough a fence)they where fine that way but not when they're actually together. (Also on not to sure if the Pekin is a hen, but she hasn't gotten a curly tail feather yet) TIA!

Almost sounds like the Pekin could be a Drake. Is it the Drake that's attacking the Pekin. Drakes protect their Hens and chase off other Drakes. You might have to set up a look no touch pen or get rid of the Pekin Drake.

How old are the ducks and can you post pic side view so we can see whole body and face? :welcome I’ve read on BYC that certain breeds don’t like a breed of another color too. And if your WH are a mated pair who have been together for a while they may just not want to accept Your Pekin.

How old are the ducks and can you post pic side view so we can see whole body and face? :welcome I’ve read on BYC that certain breeds don’t like a breed of another color too. And if your WH are a mated pair who have been together for a while they may just not want to accept Your Pekin.
That's strange because I have all sorts of colours in Ducks. That's more of a Chicken issue than Duck.

I have read it on here this year I am not sure how true but if some has experienced it then it may be.
The only truths I know is Ducks like Ducks and colour isn't an issue it's sex of Ducks. A Drake will not accept another Drake. Casanova chases Valentino away from his Hens while they free range. I definitely don't House them together.

What do they sound like? Does the Pekin sound like your male or female pair?

Sometimes I separate my drake from all of the females. And if it’s just all ladies, they get along just great. Once I add the male, they start bickering.

The pekin is coming on 3 months old this November. The other pekin i had was already starting to get a curly tail feather. But the one I still have still hasn't shown any signs of a curly tail feather. But I dont know how old they are when they get the tail feather. The drake and hen chase the pekin around and pull out his/hers feathers. The pekin doesnt even try to fight back

Back
Top Bottom