MY WORST FEAR CAME TRUE!!

Same thing happened. My chicken coop is chain link and my great danes figured out how to open the latch.

I'm very sorry to sound callous, but in some areas around here, if you catch a dog pilfering your animals, you can shoot it. I feel the same way about any raccoon or fox I catch going after my birds. If I get a hold them, game over.

I'm kind of a fan of the spring-loaded bolt locks. The kind that clearly take human strength to open. However, those would only work for swinging doors, and not doors that slide up and down or side to side.

And I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose your babies like that, especially at that age. I hope your little boy is okay. I lost two of my babies a month ago to a dog, and I cried pretty good.

Last edited:
My 14 yr old son has an air soft gun than shoots plastic bb's. I've told him to shoot any of those dogs he sees. He liked the idea since he was pretty upset about the babies getting killed. So he goes on dog patrol every evening after school. I havent seen any dogs the last couple days so maybe the are getting the idea. But I do get a kick out of his hunting stories every night! lol

I am sorry for anyone who has lost chickens to dogs and their irresponsible owners. I would hate, however, to shoot a dog and find out that it was some child's pet that just happened to escape one night.

Just a thought...

I am sorry for anyone who has lost chickens to dogs and their irresponsible owners. I would hate, however, to shoot a dog and find out that it was some child's pet that just happened to escape one night.

Just a thought...
I agree, thats why I am letting him use plastic bb's instead of lead. These dogs i'm having trouble with..... i'm almost sure that half are stray dogs and the other half just run around with them. I know that none of my neighbors have kids so if they belong to any of them they need to keep them put up or else I may have no choice if they come around my chickens again. I hate to do that but I do have kids and dogs and I wouldnt let my dogs do that to someone elses chickens.

Just saying.......

Yep, I agree with you. You have a problem that needs to be solved. It was some of the other posts about shooting first and asking questions never that were a little unnerving.

Back
Top Bottom