My year old hen stopped laying.

Mattsculpt

Songster
11 Years
Oct 29, 2011
Proctor, Arkansas
I have an Easter Egger who was the first to start laying, at 5 months, back in May. She was a great layer, laying for 4 to 5 days then taking 1 or 2 days off and then starting up again. In September she stopped for about 3 weeks, with no eggs at all. She started up again in October and layed 1 or 2 eggs a week. Then she stopped again. All my hens went through a mini molt in November and stopped laying for about 3-4 weeks. However she hasn't layed an egg since. She's otherwise in good health, eating well and her weight is fine. I'm hoping she will start laying again in spring. Any thoughts on why she stopped?

Easter eggers because of there diverse genetic make up have laying patterns all over the place. Generally they will not lay as prolifically as production birds but will lay throughout their lifetime.

Thanks. She is a pet, I promised my friend I wouldn't kill and eat my first five hens when I got them, so they are safe no matter if they lay or not. All later chickens though, are not going to get the old age pension program.

hi there, i'm new to this forum, and have been searching for answers as why my 9 month old Marem stopped laying. she came into lay as expected, layed some good eggs for around 4/5 months then she went into a very prolonged moult, and obviuosly stopped laying. but now all her feathers are back, she looks great, even her comb is a good colour, one of my old hens who started her moult well after this one is now back into lay. i cant even blame the short days as she stopped in early summer. help please.

Hi! I've been here for a while now and well....this is so difficult to say but ah 2 of my 4 Wyandottes aren't laying.
hit.gif
The one Golden at 40 weeks never has laid & has molted several weeks ago. The other Golden was laying but stopped in early December, now she's molting. These are spring chickens I thought the weren't suppose to molt till the following fall. My wife & I are so upset, we promised the neighbors some eggs, we were looking forward to fresh eggs for breakfast & baking. Over the holidays we were even forced to...to buy eggs to make ends meet.
hit.gif

We are also concerned for the health & welfare of the two Silvers as they try to step up production to make up for the 2 slackers. They're hanging tough but I don't know how long they can handle the strain.
big_smile.png

I know, I know...."Don't count your eggs before they're hatched" but we gonna to hatch em, just eat em.

Back
Top Bottom