myamishgoods coops

My problem with all the prefab coops I've ever looked at is that they aren't designed with proper ventilation. If you bought one, you'd need to get out a reciprocating saw and cut vents, etc.

What I ended up doing is sketching up a design with suitable ventilation and the other features I wanted, then getting a local coop builder to build it for me. I got exactly the coop I wanted and I can say after using it now since August that it's working just the way I hoped it would:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

The only thing I do want to add eventually is to hard wire it for electricity. It would be nice to have a light to turn on instead of having to rely on a flashlight, and it would be good not to take the risk of using an extension cord for the heater we sometimes use.

Bear in mind that all coops of that style (i.e. not *only* from this mfr, but from them *too*) are advertised as "holding" way way way more birds than most people really ought to try putting in 'em. A 4x6 coop (which most of theirs are) is only 24 sq ft. If you want to give your chickens 4 sq ft apiece indoors, which to my way of thinking is really quite minimal unless you are in an every-day-of-the-year-is-wonderful climate, that would be SIX chickens. Not the "12-15" they will claim.

Also coops of that style usually have insufficient ventilation and are sometimes hard to add ventilation for cold-winter areas without being drafty at the chickens.

Honestly for that price you'd be better off to buy a used shed off craigslist, or build something yourself, rather than buy a purpose-made chicken coop that is just not well designed for the KIND of chicken health/happiness that most backyarders are aiming at.

(Again, this is not directed at that company in particular, but at the whole genre)

JMHO,

Pat

I have the 5X8 Quaker model from that company and although expensive, it is very well made. I took the electric package and am happy that I did. As to ventillation. I have 2 small, screened windows which I keep open just a little bit even in the winter and it has a long ventilation opening, also with heavy screening over the opening and so I have never had a ventilation problem. The nest boxes also have a latch to keep them open from the outside so you can easily clean and ventilate the whole coop. I do not know what model you are looking at but I love being able to walk into the coop. In the bad weather, I even have a little stool in there and I sit with them. I did add a poop board under the roosts and I will say that if the have breeds that do not fly well, you have to provide a ladder for them to get up. On the web site it says 20 to 25 chickens but no way. Between 10 to 15 would be tops. I have 10 now and they seem to have enough room but they also have a very large covered pen so they are outside a lot.
Very well made coop over all and I felt it was worth the money over the long haul. I have just purchased a Dura-Built 8X12 Barn with loft and I am converting it into a coop. I can see the difference in the construction but I think with my additions, it will work fine.
Hope this has been helpful.

That is good to hear Chicklette 1.

All in all though, If I did not enjoy building my own coops, I would hire a local "needs work" builder.
Then you can have it built to your spec.
You can also have all the hard work done for you as well. Like clearing and leveling the ground, building the run, burying the skirt, etc.
I know far too many local hungry families around here to send money out of town.

Just my 2 cents.

I also have a myamishgoods coop- check it out here- http://www.babettesnjfeast.com/2009/10/coop-poop-peeps-and-pie.html.
My
husband insulated it, covering the insulation with luan. He also added two large crank out windows that we found in a neighbor's trash- adds lots of light and ventilation and shades can be drawn when the summer sun is too strong. He also bulit a larger and higher roost with poop board underneath. We are happy with the coop and since the photo on my blog we have added and enclosed a large carport for the run. Glad we did that as it has held up under the last two winters of snow with no problem. He also built a run-in shed off the back. The feed side of the coop is large enough to hold everything i need for the chickens and 12 bales of hay. We odered a different color trim than what was delivered, but that's a small quibble. It came with 8 nest boxes, but we only uncovered 4 (we now have 12 hens-1 roo)- the rest are used for storage (accessed from feed side).

You have a different model than I do and mine came with windows and I ordered the electric with it. I think your coop is a larger model than mine. Oh, and also mine came with an insulated roof.

Just the thread I was looking for. I have been thinking that there smaller coops would be perfect for a broody coop. How are these shipping flat or together?

We have the Amish sheds here that are prebuilt. not coops that you can buy with no money down and make payments. They do set up at your house. We are doing that for hubbies work shed might do it for coop too. They are more expensive than the one i have seen online even with shipping.

Back
Top Bottom